Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

My Mom is and was just diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer. She

Customer Question

My Mom is 69 and was just diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer. She had a CAT scan and it revealed markings on her liver and lung. She had an MRI today to see if the markings is cancer (meaning it had already spread). We can't meet with the Oncologist for another week. My question is, assuming the Cancer is in her liver and lung, is there any treatment available (chemo, radiation, etc)? I realize the pancreatic cancer is most likely incurable; however, I'm wondering if we have any reason to hope for a treatment that will extend life?
Thanks,
BM
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.
yes, there are treatments of chemotherapy such as gemzar which can slow down the growth and spread of the pancreatic cancer and can give her more time if the cancer has spread to the liver and lungs.
radiation therapy can also be used in spot areas if she has pain or symptoms from her cancer
best of luck to you and her
let me know if you have other questions.