Oncology

Oncology Questions? Ask an Oncologist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Oncology

30/F I have a supraclavical lymph node on the left and right

Customer Question
side. They are along the...
30/F I have a supraclavical lymph node on the left and right side. They are along the mastoid muscle there and can only be felt if I rotate my shoulders back and raise my arm. The left is more noticeable to find then the right. They are soft and jumpy
and about a pea size. I am getting over toncilitis and have a little cough. In the last 6-8 months, I have had ovarian cyst removal and ultrasound, kidney ultrasound, chest xray, a CBC, and a bilateral breast ultrasound that was done with a surgeon and he
did 2 of them 2 months apart. All were clear. I'm working backwards here trying to rule out cancer causing these nodes. My doctor couldn't palpate these. He felt around as usual, made me hold my breath and said they weren't significant. I didn't push for him
to really find them and feel them. Can this be considered normal? I read online that no one should ever feel these nodes. I'm not sure if they are actually supeaclavical or a node in the lower jugular??? Help!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Oncology
7/14/2015
Oncologist: deardr, Doctor replied 2 years ago
deardr
deardr, Doctor

I am Dr Ken and I will be helping you today.

Were any investigations done to see for these nodes - ultrasound or CT scan?

No the doctor I saw said that they are bilateral and small and soft and didn't pursue. I wanted to make sure that's accurate and lk
I didn't have all those tests because of the nodes. I had them for separate reasons. The nodes I found are new. And I found them randomly digging around my clavicals

Thank you for additional information.

I am happy that the nodes which you are feeling are small and non-tender.

A node is considered enlarged or clinically significant when it is more than one centimeter in size/ painful/ has overlying redness of the skin or are multiple.

In your case I do not see the small nodes clinically significant. I would not suspect cancer.

Do not worry.

Best

Ok. How big is one cm? Like an M&M?Are palpable nodes in the clavical a normal finding if there are amaller then 1cm?

Any node of the size of a pea and non tender would not worry me.

Nodes are one of the part of our immune system. Any abnormality at the region drained by them cause their enlargement. It can be mild infection too. These nodes may remain enlarged for few days even after the original site of infection is healed. They slowly go back to normal.

In few individuals normal nodes are also palpable.

Ok. I have felt this node continuously for 3 days. I'm irritating the area.Should I just seek an ENT if this becomes bigger and hard? Or would a concerning node in the clavical be obvious and easy to feel? I have to really dig around to find this. Can't be felt palpating normally with two fingers while standing or sitting.
I feel like the only area I haven't had imaging on is my abdomen. And thorax. I have no additional symptoms though that would indicate a cancer somewhere in my body. I'm trying to rule out something scary and chalk this up to toncilitis and my cough/cold even though the clavical drains the lungs/thorax not my throat.

I would get it evaluated if the size increases or if the overlying skin turns red or is swollen. As of now Motrin {Ibuprofen} should reduce any inflammation at the node.

Best

At my age and with the body scans I have had, the chances of this node growing and actually being filled with cancer is small, right?
I'm losing sleep over this and don't have the extra money to do unnecessary testing.
Hello?Can touching a lymph node a lot cause it to get larger?

At your age with this small node I would not think of cancer for sure. Repeated touching of the node can cause irritation of the region and the node may increase in size.

Please calm down. You do not have cancer.

Best

Thank you. I keep feeling it wondering if it's 1cm or smaller but it's like a pea size, maybe a tad. bigger. Smaller then a bean or a skittle. If that makes sense. I have aggravated it for 4 days. When I first felt it, it was tiny.
Would a lymphoma node or a metastic node be large and hard? What are the characteristics of a scary lymph node in the clavical?
I went to a surgeon and she did a lymph node examine. She said 100 percent I have no concerning nodes and what I feel is connecting ligaments and small nodes that aren't concerning.I can't continue this testing for no reason
Could I asks follow up?

The nodes from lymphoma are generally rubbery in consistency and are larger in size {more than 1 cm}. They are generally seen in groups. These are non tender. They may become painful if there is associated secondary infection.

Thank you. SO, overall, I should be ok with a BB to small pea size soft node in my clavical area?
This can just be who I am, as long as it doesn't grow or become hard?
deardr
deardr
deardr, Doctor