Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I just had a 18 cm mass removed from shoulder blade area.

Customer Question

I just had a 18 cm mass removed from shoulder blade area. Just noticed lump 2 wks ago. Tennis ball lump just below shoulder blade popped up. Was told lower part ( lump ) was above the muscle and as it went higher it went deep into the muscle. Removal took two hrs but was told it came out easy. Mass encapsulated in long round sac much like a tenderloin shape, red with some black lines , very smooth looking. MRI and CT incluclusive of Lipoma vs Lipomascarcoma. Awaiting biopsy report. Surgeon state lipoma but suspect that's a normal response if there is no clear evidence you are trained to suggest the best case scenario.
I find that any lipoma larger than 5 cm should be considered a soft tissue scarcoma. Along with the face this mass went deep into the tissue , at least one half of it . Can you share info that this is more likely a Lipoma or Lipomascarcoma and that a guess at what type giving the limited info I provided. I do have excellent photo after removal but this site doesn't allow to paste . Thanks Scott
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.
lipomas are much much more common than liposarcomas.
lipomas can also invade into muscle as well.
if surgeon thinks lipoma, I would trust that
I know you are trying to guess at the findings
the final pathology report will tell for sure.
the photo won't really help
you need the official pathology report to know for sure
the diagnosis is based on microscopic evaluation of the cells of what was cut out
that is what pathologist do for a living
when do you see your surgeon again to get the pathology findings?