Oncology

Oncology questions? Ask an oncologist for answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Father in law was diagnosed with type 1 lung cancer a small…

Customer Question
Father in law was diagnosed...
Father in law was diagnosed with type 1 lung cancer a small growth that they want to do surgery and remove it at the periphery of the lung. What should we expect as far as life expectancy on such a situation? How is his life going to unfold from diagnosis
to end from such a diagnosis?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Oncology
6/10/2015
Oncologist: Dr. Ravoof, Doctor replied 3 years ago
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Dear customer,
Do you mean stage 1? Do you have the biopsy report?
Thanks.
No I do not. Yes they said stage 1 and slow growing
Dear customer,
Thanks for your reply.
Basically based on a study done in 2007, the stage 1 prognosis was divided into 2 further stages: stage 1A and 1B.
With stage 1A non small cell lung cancer, between 58 and 73 people out of every 100 (58% to 73%) will survive for 5 years or more after the diagnosis of cancer.
With stage 1B non small cell lung cancer, between 43 and 58 people out of every 100 (43% to 58%) will survive for 5 years or more after diagnosis of cancer.
http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/type/lung-cancer/treatment/statistics-and-outlook-for-lung-cancer#nonsmall
Take care.