Oncology

Oncology questions? Ask an oncologist for answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Type your Medical question here I was biopsied for the right…

Customer Question
Type your Medical question here...
Type your Medical question here I was biopsied for the right lung, tumor cells are positive for CK7 and TTF and negative for CK20. what does this mean,
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Oncology
6/5/2015
Oncologist: Dr. David, Doctor (MD) replied 3 years ago
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.
these are cell surface markers to try to identify where the cancer cells came from
the pathologist use this information to tell where the cancer cells came from
Epithelial cells of the lung and breast both contain keratin-7, but some other glandular epithelia, such as those of the colon and prostate, do not
TTF is seen in lung and thyroid cancers.
CK20 protein is commonly found in colorectal cancer, transitional cell carcinomas and in Merkel cell carcinoma, but is absent in lung cancer, prostate cancer, and non-mucinous ovarian cancer
so your markers are suggestive that this tumor might have originated from lung cancer.
do you have the rest of your pathology report?