Oncology

Oncology questions? Ask an oncologist for answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I am a 58 year old female. Three weeks ago I had routine lab…

I am a 58 year...
I am a 58 year old female. Three weeks ago I had routine lab work drawn. My wbc was 11.8 and platelets were 501. I had a redraw one week later for the platelets. They were 444 on the second draw. I am wondering if this is really anything to be concerned with.
11/3/2014
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Dr. David :

Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.

Dr. David :

most likely your body was fighting off an infection during the first blood draw.

Dr. David :

that can cause your WBC and platelets to be high.

Dr. David :

platelets are an acute phase reactant and can be elevated when there is inflammation in your body or when your body is fighting off an infection.

Dr. David :

I would not stress.

Dr. David :

you can get a repeat CBC blood test in about 3-6 months. that will be fine.

Dr. David :

you should not be taking daily aspirin therapy without seeing your doctor first.

Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)