Oncology

Oncology Questions? Ask an Oncologist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Oncology

We talked last night about my kidney cyst. Do you mind if I

ask you some questions. I'll...
We talked last night about my kidney cyst. Do you mind if I ask you some questions. I'll pay.
9/30/2013
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Dr. David :

Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.

Dr. David :

sure what other questions do you have?

Customer: Thanks De David, do you remember my specifics or would you like me to recap the facts quickly?
Dr. David :

2.8cm kidney cyst.

Dr. David :

scan on Friday?

Customer: Very good. :-)
Dr. David :

what question do you have?

Customer: ct scan report without contrast says likely represents a cyst but is not appear quite smooth and regular and further evaluation is recommended by ct contrast or ultrasound to ensure the absence of a mass. Dr told me he was pretty sure it was benign and told my wife after he removed my kidney stone that he didn't think it was cancer.
Dr. David :

yes, I think it is most likely benign.

Dr. David :

you need another CT scan with contrast or an ultrasound to get more information.

Customer: ct on Friday and I called the urologist office and they told me that if I called after the scan they would look it up on their computer and give me their findings and thoughts.
Customer: i feel like life and death hinges on this ct
Dr. David :

you will be fine.

Dr. David :

try not to stress.

Customer: As a doctor, if you thought there was a chance someone had cancer would you be honest and tell them? He told me he thought benign and told my wife he didn't think it was cancer. Would a doctor be honest about something like that or would he just say that so his patients don't worry?
Dr. David :

yes, they would tell you

Dr. David :

but the scan so far was without contrast. so that limits the information that they can tell you for sure.

Customer: Ok. I'm going to have the ct scan Friday....no doubt. But what would happen if I didn't have ct and just took the urologist opinion and went on with my life?
Dr. David :

then you will never feel certain.

Dr. David :

you want more certainty.

Customer: That's true, and I will have the ct. But the "thing" is 2.8 cm....if in fact it did turn out to be cancer....and I did absolutely nothing. Can you estimate how long I would continue to live a normal life?
Dr. David :

if the cyst is benign, you will live a normal life.

Customer: And at its current size of 2.8; if it turns out to be cancer; how long would it take this thing to start affecting me? I know you can't be exact, just an educated guess.
Customer: if I did nothing
Dr. David :

if it is a renal cell cancer and hasn't spread, you could still be cured with a surgery.

Dr. David :

and live a full life

Dr. David :

if you did nothing, you could live many years without it affecting you.

Customer: Any way to guess whether something the size of 2.8 cm could have spread? Have you seen cancers that size already "spread "? It's in the posterior mid-renal cortex.
Dr. David :

no way to guess if it has spread.

Dr. David :

your other non contast scan didn't show spread.

Dr. David :

so that is a good sign

Customer: Ok I was something 2.8 would likely be early stage and unlikely to have already spread?
Dr. David :

that is still early stage.

Customer: Ok . Well thank you again.
Customer: if you had to put medical odds on my scan Friday; what would you say 60/40?
Customer: Based on your experience, expertise, and what my first ct scan report said
Customer: You can be honest
Customer: :-)
Dr. David :

more like 80 benign 20% cancerous

Customer: Okay. I appreciate your honesty.
Customer: I had almost rather just skip the scan and just live my life.
Customer: I just don't know
Dr. David :

you have to get the scan.

Dr. David :

you will never forgive yourself.

Customer: Would that be stupid?
Customer: I will doctor, I prpmise
Customer: odd that if it is cancer, it can be cured with surgery? 70/30?
Dr. David :

if it is cancer, high chances of being cured with surgery.

Customer: I meant odds not odd.
Dr. David :

80% plus chance of cure.

Customer: Please please be honest
Customer: It's hard to believe that people are actually "cured " of kidney cancer and go on to live another 25-30 years. Does that happen often with kidney cancer? More so than other cancers?
Dr. David :

yes, kidney cancer is cured often with a surgery.

Dr. David :

renal cancers are rare,

Dr. David :

when caught early, kidney cancers have high cure rates.

Customer: Okay I guess I just have 1 or 2 other questions.
Customer: Does the fact that this thing is on renal posterior MIDDLE cortex present any special problems for partial surgery ?
Dr. David :

it might make a partial nephrectomy more difficult the closer it is to the renal pelvis which is in the middle of the kidney.

Customer: And...when I have my ct scan this Friday; it will have only been 9 or 10 days since they did the surgery procedure to remove my kidney stone. Is that too soon in the sense that there could be blood or swelling in the kidney from my surgery that would cause a "red herring" in the new ct scan results?
Dr. David :

no, that is not too soon.

Dr. David :

there is no red herring.

Customer: Ok. You mentioned a partial surgery might be difficult if thing is in middle. You mean difficult as in dangerous? Or difficult as in you've never seen in done before for something in middle?
Dr. David :

if a partial nephrectomy can't be done, they can do a total nephrectomy

Dr. David :

removal of hte whole kidney

Customer: The ct report noted that both my kidneys looked normal but that the left was much smaller than the right. The right has the 2.8 thing so would that be an issue if they have to do a total removal?
Dr. David :

if the left kidney is working then it is not a problem.

Dr. David :

they might have to do a kidney function study to see if your left kidney is working properly

Customer: Okay. If not then dialysis 3 days a week?
Customer: Or transplant?
Dr. David :

if you have one working kidney, you don't need dialysis.

Customer: Even if it is "much smaller"? Lol
Customer: ok, thank you for your time Dr. David. I'll give you an excellent rating below. Just to recap: you would say 80-20 chance that the results show benign? And 80+ percent that it is cureable (not just treatable) if it did turn out to be cancer. And if I did nothing it would still take this thing 20-30 years to kill me? Lol.
Dr. David :

not 20-30 years to kill you

Dr. David :

if you didn't do anything could take 10-15 years to kill you.

Customer: Finally, I am your patient but if I was actually a patient an your office. What final thoughts or advice would you give me ?
Dr. David :

get that CT scan friday.

Dr. David :

and maybe a MRI scan and ultrasound of the kidney.

Customer: Should I worry? The odds you gave me were good :-)
Dr. David :

you shouldn't worry.

Customer: Ok I wish I could talk to you more. You give me hope for good results! 80-20?
Dr. David :

yes.

Dr. David :

most likely benign.

Customer: God bless you Dr. David, have a good night.
Dr. David :

good night.

Dr. David :

try not to stress.

Dr. David :

don't forget to leave +++ positive feedback below.

Dr. David :

thanks

Customer: Definitely. I'm hoping you are right.
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)