Oncology

Oncology Questions? Ask an Oncologist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Oncology

Will I be able to regain my hearing loss which I suffered

from radiation for nasal pharyngeal...
Will I be able to regain my hearing loss which I suffered from radiation for nasal pharyngeal carcinoma in 1992. I was losing my hearing in 2008. I am presently74 years old and find it debilitating not being able to hear even with a hearing aid.
4/9/2013
Dr. Amir Javed
Dr. Amir Javed, Doctor (MD)
Thanks for the question and coming on Just Answer. I would like to say that unfortunately, hearing aids will not correct hearing loss or restore hearing to normal levels. Options are limited but can be considered such as detail evaluation by ENT specialist to consider for cochlear transplant which can be option. These implants are small electronic device that can help improve the hearing of people with severe, irreversible hearing loss. Although a cochlear implant does not restore normal hearing, it can allow a person to hear and understand more speech than was possible with a hearing aid. Aural rehabilitation can also be helpful with hearing devices as this will not restore the hearing but can improve things which consists of training such as audiologic rehabilitation classes, learning good liestening strategies & establishing guidelines for communicating around. You can ask about these things with your ENT surgeon. These are the only things which can be possible.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are satisfied. If you feel the need to click either 2 "poor service" or 1 "bad service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. My goal is excellent service which is rating 5. Rating of 4 or 5 is highly highly appreciated as this is the only way we doctors can get credit here. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Best wishes
Dr. Amir Javed.
Dr. Amir Javed
Dr. Amir Javed, Doctor (MD)
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)

Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and am ready to help.

these are not the only things possible.

radiation therapy for nasopharyngeal cancer in the 1992 would have used lateral radiation fields which could easily have damaged or destroyed both cochea and so cochlear implants most likely will not be beneficial.

I am a radiation oncology doctor

there are more modern research into penetrating auditory-nerve electrodes which stimulate the auditory nerves directly in the brain which will work better for you than a cochlear implant. you will have to go to a large research university for a research techniques for this

these are called neural prosthetics for hearing

here is a website regarding the technology at Center for Neural Engineering and Prostheses (CNEP) at UC Berkeley and San Francisco

http://www.cnep-uc.org/

Dr. Amir Javed
Dr. Amir Javed
Dr. Amir Javed, Doctor (MD)