Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

Why Do I Have A Hard Lump On My Head?

I have a lump on my head, it feels like hard bone. I noticed it several months ago and it didn't seem to grow or bother me. What is your suggestion?

If it feels like bone, most likely it is bone, or a bony spur from your skull. The CT scan might not even see it very well. I would get a skull x ray first. CT scans slice the brain in axial plains and at the top of the head, the images can get very skewed because of the slop of the skull bone at the top of the head and it can make it tough to see the bone at the top. A skull x ray would be a better first step. But I don't think you even need to do that . Most likely it is a benign bone spur from your skull.

<span class="JA_chatAuthorName"Customer:

It's not on the top of my head, it is on the side. So your advise is I don't need to do anything. I don't really understand bone spur from the skull

Dr. David :

If the lump is hard, most likely it is an outgrowth of bone from the skull bone called a bone spur or it could be a very hard sebaceous cyst which is a clogged sweat gland or hair follicle which has been packed with a waxy like substance. These are both benign conditions.

Now if I don't do anything what will happen? Have you ever see this problem before.

Dr. David :

Yes, if you don't do anything, most likely it will stay like that for a long time and not change.

Will it effect my health condition? Will this bone spur cost wear and tear for the other bone.

Dr. David :

No, it will not affect your health condition and will not cause wear and tear on the other bones in your body.

I lately get headaches on the side that has the lump. I don't know if it is because of stress or the lump.

Dr. David :

Keep an eye on those headaches. Could be from stress and your current worries about the lump. Hopefully with time they will get better. If your headaches worsen, then definitely go back and see your doctor and get a skull x ray or CT scan of the head.

Now you suggest to do x ray rather than CT scan right?

Dr. David :

Yes, x ray first and if any question, then CT scan.

Thank you for your advise.