Oncology

Oncology questions? Ask an oncologist for answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Dx'd with -cell lymphoma, had a huge spleen--removed. now am…

Customer Question
dx'd with b-cell lymphoma, had...
dx'd with b-cell lymphoma, had a huge spleen--removed. now am constantly fatigued, even tried using loratab, made me feel better, have nausea, don't want to wake up in the morning. used to have 3 businesses at one time, overly energetic. now am wondering if it is depression. my oncologist is at a loss. lymphoma shouldn't be making me feel--like i don't want to go on--PLEASE HELP!!!
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Oncology
3/1/2012
Oncologist: DrRussMd, Doctor (MD) replied 6 years ago
DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Doctor (MD)
Hello
Feeling like you don't want to go on indeed can be depression and this would not be uncommon after having your spleen removed or while having lymphoma.
What should be done at this point is treatment for the depression.
Your primary care can do this if your oncologist is at a loss.

The correct anti-depressant might take care of this completely
good luck

Let me know if you have further questions, details or need clarification, just use reply.......

Please Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.

Oncologist: Dr. David, Doctor (MD) replied 6 years ago
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and am ready to help.

I am a cancer doctor.

there are lot of issues that need to be evaluated.

I'm wondering why you took lortab for fatigue. this is a pain medication.

if you are having nausea, you need a MRI scan of the brain to make sure you don't have lymphoma spread to the brain

also it is odd to have the spleen removed for lymphoma. this use to be done a long time ago, but not so much recently. usually chemotherapy alone is used to treat, even when the lymphoma is in the spleen. I hope they gave you a Pneumococcal vaccine before the splenectomy.

also if your red or white counts are low, this could also be the reason for your fatigue.

a bone marrow biopsy is also needed to make sure the lymphoma is not in the bone marrow.

also you need a recent PET/CT scan to make sure you don't have lymphoma in your body still active.

thank you so much for your reply. I can tell you are really informed. I am a retired icu, oncologist RN who mixed our own chemo without protection before pharmacists did it totally protected under the hoods.I thought I would answer your questions after assessing your credibility. My spleen was removed they said to diagnose, in addition it had grown to the size of a football. I was put to bed until the surgeon could get it out. About the lortab, 13 months after the spleenectomy I thad to have a very painful thorocotomy. Was on morphine for weeks, the myown decision it was too strong

despite the pain and was put on loratab.

a\After the pain subsided, I found it also helped the horrible sickness that had taken over. I had to be weaned. I have never had a drug problem before. I found it just helped.

Presently my oncologist is at a loss. I am always SICK nothing helps. I am loosing a desire to do anything. I used to be a tennis player. All I can tell them it just feels like a virus somewhat like the flu. Noone can help. Blood, bone marrow and scans all

normal. Onc. says it doesn't show in the liver because the tissue is so dense. All I know is I am Sick and no one seems to know why. My counselor has suggested an antidepesant, but would I feel sick all over with depression. I was also interested you mentioned taking out my spleen. Why couldn't they have radiated it first. Of course they had no diagnosos until they got it out. Afterward I had rituxan. The MAC was horrible as well. They have even suggested matbe it is back. That appeared after the thorocotomy. I couldn't tolorate more than9 months of that horrible treatment. You have been so helpful, and I certainly have taken it all in. You will have a great review after this is all over(if it ever is) I can't take much more. Thank you so much

Sandra aka Sandie

well it sounds like you have ever reason to be tired and to be fatigued after two major surgeries and rituxan and MAC infection. lymphoma would show up in the liver on PET scan.

depression by itself can sometimes cause aches and pains. cymbalta is an antidepresseant which can help with this. but you have many reasons to have pain and nausea and fatigue. you can also be tested for mononucleosis to see if that could also be causing your fatigue. MAC infections usually show up as lesions in the lungs, but I'm not sure how yours manifested after your thoracotomy.

without a diagnosis, I guess a spleenectomy was necessary. I don't think a radiation oncology doctor would have given your enlarged spleen radiation withtout pathological diagnosis of lymphoma. unusual to have the lymphoma just in the spleen and no where else. why did they have to do the thoractomy?
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)

Dr. David, The thorocotomy was done because a "hot spot" showed up on the PET scan. That is when all the trouble started, the mac, the dependence on the opiate and this horrible sickness. After all that it ended up being benign, for which I am glad, but somehow I feel like that is where I got the MAC. Do youthink it could have returned and is causing the sickness? Of course I would have to undergo a 3rd bronch.

Any other thoughts? The accupuncture doesn't seem to be helping. Do you think this is something I will just eventually fade away with? Have you ever heard of such a thing.

My internist put me on ritalin in an effort to "do something" It just makes me jittery, but for about 45 minutes I may be able to get the laundry done. I have a wonderful husband, a retired judge. It isn't fair to him either. We always thought these would be our "fun" years. Both children educated and doing well. thank you again, you are a real blessing.

Sandie

that is crazy that you had to have a thoracotomy just to get diagnosed as having MAC infection of the chest. if there was any question of why you had PET uptake in the chest with a lyphoma diagnosis, they should have performed a trans-thoracic needle biopsy to diagnose what it was instead of having to do a thoracotomy.

I hope the MAC infection is not back. you hated the 9 months of antibiotic therapy for the MAC. if there is nothing uptaking on the PET, and you are not running fevers and your white count is not elevated, then I don't think you have a MAC infecton.

your doctors tested for mono infection?
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)