Oncology

Oncology Questions? Ask an Oncologist for Answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Oncology

My son has stage 4 colon cancer. Has been fighting it for 4

years. We want to...
My son has stage 4 colon cancer. Has been fighting it for 4 years. We want to go to another facility for a possible second opinion or clinical trial. We are [presently at Chicago Rush hospital for treatment. However for further treatment would you advise the Anderson Cancer clinic in Houston or the Burzinski clinic also in Houston? I will anxiously await your advice. Thank you so much! Please send to email ***@******.*** My name is ***** ***** my son is XXXXXXXXX 58 Yrs old
8/18/2011
911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer,

I have a friend who is a surgeon at MD Anderson in Houston. I can ask him but it may take a day or so to hear from him. If this is too long I will open the question up.

If we ask a doctor at Anderson I feel we may get a biased answer. What do you think?

he is a head and neck cancer surgeon so that may remove any bias. but it's up to you. i think you raise a reasonable point.

a few questions.

1. too advanced for surgery?

2. tissue type of cancer?

3. are there metastases?

standing by

1. can still have surgery
2. colon cancer (not sure)
3. yes there is metastes

let me know then.... happy to open this up if you want. i'm sure you realize that once you get to the point of looking for clinical trials in a desperate situation that hope is fading. does your son want to press this hard?

just let me know and i'll either open this or ask my friend. tissue type would be helpful.

best

We realize that our options are fewer and fewer but he is still feeling pretty well so he would like to continue some kind of treatment. His oncologist said Anderson was the best in the country but someone else is pushing for Burzinski Clinic and I would really like an answer from you asap as to which one you would advise!

know nothing of burzinski so i may not be your guy. have connections as above at anderson. your choice. all i would be able to do re burzinski is an internet search.

standing by.

you would go with Anderson..What does your friend say about possible treatment. If you hear anything about Burzinski please let me know.

as i said, it may be 24 hours before i hear from my friend. if this is too long let me know and i will open this up.

It is not too long. I would appreciate any news I can get. Thank you very much!
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and am ready to help.

The decision for Burzinski or MD Anderson depends on if you want strickly alternative care or if you want the biggest and best all around cancer research hospital in the world which MD Anderson is.

here is list of protocols for stage IV colon cancer at MD Anderson.

http://www.cancer.gov/clinicaltrials/search/results?protocolsearchid=9479461

14 of them. I think his options will be greater at MD Anderson and the science behind the treatments are better there as well.

What treatments has he had before for his colon cancer?
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)

i heard back from my surgical colleague at MD Anderson....

He has provided me with the direct contact number and email to the clinical trials coordinator at MD Anderson... And i do agree with Dr David...

Ms. Cathy ENG

Associate Professor

GI medical Oncology

(###) ###-####/p>

please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Best

911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
www.cancer.gov/clinicaltrials/search/results?protocolsearch=9479461

this link works.
911DOC
911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.