Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

What is the survival rate of a her2 positive patient that

What is the survival rate of a her2 positive patient that has had 11 rounds of Abraxane and herceptin and carbo, plus opted for double mastectomy. margins are clear to tumor 2 sentinal node and 24 negative nodes. Dr has now chosen a 4 cycle AC treatment plan?????.
Dr. David :

Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and am ready to help.

Dr. David :

wow, that sounds like a long chemotherapy treatment course. where are you getting treated?

Dr. David :

did they plan for AC after abraxane and carbo? did you know about it or are they surprising you with it? which study where you on? was the abraxane and carbo before the mastectomies?

Customer:

I am receiving treatment at Women and Infants in Rhode Island. I also went for a second opinion @ Dana Farber. I was in a study with Dr. Sikov. I am sorry but I forgot to tell you that I also have to have 7 weeks of Radiation with Dr. Wazer. I just had the double mastectomies last friday (painful)

Customer:

NO, At 11 weeks I had an U/S to see if the tumor at 2 oClock had increased or if there was fibrosis. the tumor board wanted surgery so my cycle was put on hold for surgery. A 1200 5mm satelite is gone I had 2 sentinels but 24 negative nodes and the original 2:oo had decreaesed in size.

Customer:

so now the Dr. wants to procede with the Ac . I presently have expanders in.

Customer:

The study is with Yale also and is called the Brougg 2?

Customer:

The Abaxane was pre surgery and was to originally be an eighteen week treatment.

Dr. David :

yes, I see the study,

Dr. David :

here it is

Dr. David :

http://ycctrials.med.yale.edu/ListDetail.asp?nctID=NCT00723125

Dr. David :

sounds like you might have a stage II breast cancer?

Dr. David :

the survival rate with the treatments that you have had at 5 years is very high.

Dr. David :

in traditional trails for patients like you with just mastectomy, AC chemo and herceptin, 5 year survival rates are 80-90%

Dr. David :

what the clinical trail is trying to study is trying to get a high response rate of the cancer to shrink before surgery, thinking that will result in more women living in the long run. what they are looking for is a higher response rate.

Dr. David :

one of the key issues with herceptin and adriamycin chemo agents is the potential cardiac risks because adriamycin, herceptin, and even left chest wall radiation therapy can all cause damage to the heart.

Dr. David :

each can cause a little damage but when added up, it can be measurable.

Dr. David :

was your cancer in the left breast?

Dr. David :

well, sounds like the chemo up front was part of the protocol and the AC chemo now is just standard adjuvant (or additional) chemotherapy which is given after surgery.

Dr. David :

it is a long treatment course, I know.

Dr. David :

for many women, it can last a year.

Dr. David :

the herceptin lasts a year.

Dr. David :

you will make it.

Dr. David :

make sure they check on your herat.

Dr. David :

heart

Dr. David :

good luck

Customer:

Yes I have stage IIb breast cancer

Customer:

Yes I have stage 2B breast cancer and it was in the left breast at 2:oo 1.9cm and at 12:OO .70cm. Axilary node 1.5-1.8

Customer:

Thank you I will also need 7 weeks of radiation. You've provided more insight than my Oncologist. Not knowing is very difficult. I do know that I will be intreatment for a full year.

Dr. David :

make sure that your radiation doctor misses your heart with radiation therapy. this can be done with respiratory gating or IMRT radiation therapy.

Dr. David :

best of luck to you. Let me know if you have more questions.

Dr. David :

please accept if you don't have any other questions.

Dr. David :

please leave positive feedback for my work for you.

Dr. David :

thank you.

Customer:

Thank you Dr.David

Customer:

I'm sorry i thought I clicked on OK. Thank you Dr. David. You've given me most valuable feedback. I feel relieved.

Customer:

Joan E. Tullie