Oncology

Oncology questions? Ask an oncologist for answers ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I have had right lung pain x 3 days now and it seems to be…

Customer Question
Good Afternoon, I have...
Good Afternoon, I have had right lung pain x 3 days now and it seems to be worsening. I've just had a chest x-ray that revealss some slight parenchymal indistincness in the lung bases bilaterally with few discoids densities. Please translate, should I be concern?
Thankfully,
E.M.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Oncology
6/28/2010
Oncologist: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Did the doctor comment on the findings of physical examination?

I'm sorry but the question returned to the question list without further information, so you may not be aware of the examination findings.

Indistinctness of the lung parenchyma suggests a small amount of fluid that is obscuring the edges of the soft tissue in the lung. This could be due to a mild or early infection. It also can be due to fluid accumulation due to a problem with the heart. Discoid densities can also suggest that there is a condition called atelectasis, which is related to incomplete opening of a small segment of the lung. These findings might also be present if a person does not take a good deep breath for the x-ray. In some people chest pain that gets worse with breathing limits the ability to take a deep breath. The findings of the chest x-ray is best made in the context of the findings on the physical examination. It could easily be a mild infection that would be expected to resolve.