Oldsmobile

Oldsmobile questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Can not turn key to start position it is not connecting to…

Customer Question
Can not turn key...

Can not turn key to start position it is not connecting to start engine but turns on ok just not making connection to start

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Yes can turn wheel but key not making connection to start

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Oldsmobile?

90 olds cutlas supreme

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. Am trying to locate start wires under colume

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Need to know the color of start wires

Submitted: 23 days ago.Category: Oldsmobile
5/27/2018
Oldsmobile Mechanic: Randall, ASE Certified Technician replied 23 days ago
Randall
Randall, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, I am Randall. I am working on your question now and will return shortly. Meantime if you see a popup for phone call? I do not send that, the system does..I will reply in chat shortly. Thanks

engine size? or full VIN#? thanks

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
1G3Ws11T1\D335512

ok, have you tested to see if you have power on the purple wire at starter when holding key to crank?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
3.1 multi port engine
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Have gone to bank an it is good now ok

Phone call is not going to be best at this stage. I have to have some tests done and may have to send wiring diagrams, I do not just have a quick answer via phone. I still need to know if you have tested for power on the purple wire at the starter when holding key to crank. If not? then we need to get to steering column and do some tests

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I have power but key is not strong enough to get to start car using screw driver works but have to turn very hard then back off slowly an car will start. Like to install a push button to use for starting only

Ok, the YELLOW wire coming down column from ignition switch is 12 volts power to trans switch. then purple to starter. If you want to use a remote button? you need to tap into the REd wire at ignition switch.(splice to it only, do NOT cut it) cut the YELLOW wire at ignition switch. so, red goes to one side of new switch/button and yellow to the other. All you then do is turn key to RUN and push the button and starter will crank. I have attached the wiring diagram as well

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , .
Keep in mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.
Follow Up Questions are included in The price of your question ,So feel Free To Ask Me
You can Always come back to this conversation and ask me any Follow up Question you may? have
Many Thanks! Randall C