Oldsmobile

Oldsmobile questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

99 alero engine stops running and oil light shws on dash. I…

Customer Question
99 alero engine stops...

99 alero engine stops running and oil light shws on dash. I put the car in neutral and turn the key and the engine starts instantlt. I then shift into Drive and I keep going until the same thing happens again. Sometimes it stops 5 times a day, some days it eruns great. I had it in a great garage and they could not get any codes and they could not guess the problem. I had the car there for 2 weeks and ... no fix...no charge. I still drive it locally in daylight. Runs great.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

No because why?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Alero yourself? What have you tried so far?

I had a well qualified mechanic in their garage. No info on scope...no codes. He says he can't figure it out. He says it runs really well. I agree. The car starts instantlt and runs like a dream...really smooth.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

1999Olda Alero 4 cylinder.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Oldsmobile
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/23/2018
Oldsmobile Mechanic: roybelding, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
roybelding
roybelding, ASE Certified Technician

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

ok, it sounds like you are loosing spark.

this could be from the module, crank sensor or ignition switch.

the problem is it needs to be checked when it happens. otherwise, you cannot fix anything that is not broke.

has he checked connections on these items?? I would do a wiggle test on the connections and see if the car stalles.

you could also have the module tested at a parts store for free. they have a tester for these modules.

Roy

do you have any other questions??