Oldsmobile

Oldsmobile questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

91cutlass supreme dig instrument panel lights intermittent.

Customer Question
91cutlass supreme dig instrument...

91cutlass supreme dig instrument panel lights intermittent

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Tac,speed ometer,all gauges

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

91olds cutlass supreme

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Cutlass Supreme?

1991

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cutlass Supreme yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, trying to. just started

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

About a year ago lights worked most of the time .as time went on they worked less and less.now they flash sometime when you turn the keyon.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Oldsmobile
3/9/2018
Oldsmobile Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
If you move the dimmer knob for the instrument lights around does it have any effect on the lights? I would try to remove the dimmer light switch and maybe swap it out with another one from the wrecking yard or try possibly removing the instrument panel and finding the wire that goes from the dimmer knob to the instrument panel by looking at the wiring colors and then verifying with a voltmeter by looking to see that the voltage changes when you move the dimmer knob.I guess I should clarify, when the instrument panel loses its lights does the rest of the dash like the shifter lights and lights in the buttons fail to work as well? Or is it just the instrument cluster?It was just the instrument cluster, I would probably say you need to open up this room panel and look for any cold solder joints and possibly touch up the solder joints for the electrical connectors that come into the back of the cluster where they attach to the circuit board.If I've answered your question your satisfaction please don't forget to hit accept next to my name as that is the only way that the site compensates me for my time. You will still be able to ask any follow-up questions about this topic even after hitting accept. Please on as they did ask for any clarification if you have any further questions.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Provide Diagrams, Manuals, or Instructions. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I'm trying to provide you instructions I need you to answer my questions.
All lights dim with the dimmer sw including the radio.