Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Oldsmobile Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

91cutlass supreme dig instrument panel lights intermittent.

Customer Question

91cutlass supreme dig instrument panel lights intermittent
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: tac,speed ometer,all gauges
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 91olds cutlass supreme
JA: What year is your Cutlass Supreme?
Customer: 1991
JA: Are you fixing your Cutlass Supreme yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, trying to. just started
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: about a year ago lights worked most of the time .as time went on they worked less and less.now they flash sometime when you turn the keyon.
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Danny replied 8 months ago.
If you move the dimmer knob for the instrument lights around does it have any effect on the lights? I would try to remove the dimmer light switch and maybe swap it out with another one from the wrecking yard or try possibly removing the instrument panel and finding the wire that goes from the dimmer knob to the instrument panel by looking at the wiring colors and then verifying with a voltmeter by looking to see that the voltage changes when you move the dimmer knob.I guess I should clarify, when the instrument panel loses its lights does the rest of the dash like the shifter lights and lights in the buttons fail to work as well? Or is it just the instrument cluster?It was just the instrument cluster, I would probably say you need to open up this room panel and look for any cold solder joints and possibly touch up the solder joints for the electrical connectors that come into the back of the cluster where they attach to the circuit board.If I've answered your question your satisfaction please don't forget to hit accept next to my name as that is the only way that the site compensates me for my time. You will still be able to ask any follow-up questions about this topic even after hitting accept. Please on as they did ask for any clarification if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Provide Diagrams, Manuals, or Instructions. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Danny replied 8 months ago.
I'm trying to provide you instructions I need you to answer my questions.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
All lights dim with the dimmer sw including the radio.