Oldsmobile

Oldsmobile questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My headlights, breaklights, and interior lights don't work…

Customer Question
My headlights, breaklights, and interior...
My headlights, breaklights, and interior lights don't work.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Oldsmobile
3/6/2018
Oldsmobile Mechanic: Amedee, Oldsmobile Technician replied 1 month ago
Amedee
Amedee, Oldsmobile Technician
Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can help you with your vehicle. Have you checked all of the fuses? What is the year, make and model as well as the engine size if the vehicle?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We bought all new fuses. 1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL. The engine is 3100 SFI V6.
Ok thank you so much for that information. Let me do some digging and replay back on a bit. Please allow up to 30 minutes as I have to go through some wiring diagrams to help you pinpoint the root cause. Thank you.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also we were given the car and then there was a bad rain. The back driver's side door filled with water and the battery went dead. We had to buy a new one and that's when we noticed the lights didn't work.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK thank you!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My husband also wiggled the wires under the hood that go to the battery and the headlights kicked on for about 5 seconds.
Sounds good thank you. Will do some digging and reply back shortly
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK thank you

Ok I am back.. sorry for the delay!

Inside the vehicle, check for power to the the STOP/HAZ, CTSY, and tail light fuse (I would check this with the key on). If there is no power on these fuses, check the fusible links just behind the battery by the strut tower and see if one of the links is burned. I have a feeling that is going to be the root cause. :)

I hope this helps! My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you have a schematic if which link I need to look at?

A wiring diagram of this circuit or fusible link location?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The fusible link location
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I see a few places where the wires connect.

There are two locations where the fusible links are on this vehicle. One is by the starter (wires going to the starter) and the other is by the battery where I suspect the blown fusible link is causing the issue on your vehicle.

I have attached a picture of the fusible links for you that are located by the battery.

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

I just ask that you allow time in between replies as I may be helping other customers or offline spending time with the family.

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks and have a great day!!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is there any other fusible links I can try? I checked the one coming from the battery and it is fine.

Ok did you check the fuses for power like I indicated above?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK so this is what I got. The 3 prong plug coming from the battery works fine. I followed the wire to a box with 30 prongs in it. It is screwed to the car under the hood by the dashboard. Only one prong lit up my light on my tester. It also has what looks like grease all over in it.The fuse box doesn't have power to the Tail, Stop Haz, CTSY, and Inst LPS sections.

Ok, let me do some checking for you.

One moment moment

Did you check for these fuses inside the vehicle?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did check the fuses. I told you in my previous comment the ones that don't have power to them.

Ok, so that indicates a blown fusible link like I mentioned above. I bet that is the root cause. Please double check the fuses links again, I bet you will find the problem there.

Sorry, I thought you said you could not find those fuses.

So, did you check power in and out of each of the fusible links?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I told you what I found. Can you tell me what it means?Previous comment:
OK so this is what I got. The 3 prong plug coming from the battery works fine. I followed the wire to a box with 30 prongs in it. It is screwed to the car under the hood by the dashboard. Only one prong lit up my light on my tester. It also has what looks like grease all over in it.

IS this a relay that your describing? Can you send me a picture so I can see?

Would you be willing to speak on the phone?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can you tell me what that prong is for? Why only one of them shows power? If I have to change that one? Can it be changed?

I sure can, but I need to know what circuit or item this is in order to provide you with accurate information.

OH I see, thank you! That is a harness connector. That should be plugged in to either another big connector or possible the computer depending on the location. Did you unplug it? It looks like possible relays that it plugs into in the second pic..

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Does that connector have anything to do with the fuse box? Only 1 of the prongs showed power
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
All the wires from the battery go into that box

Can you take a picture of that box for me so I can see it?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
all the connections after it don't show power

Got it, I see. Thank you. That is a harness connector. You will need to plug it back in and test for power on these circuits with everything plugged in. YES, the grease you see is normal. It is OK

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK you aren't understanding me...I only unplugged it to try and follow the wire and find the bad wiring...I already tested everything WITH it plugged in! I am wanting to know why only 1 prong shows power when the other 29 don't. And dies this harness have anything to do with my fuse box? Can it be why it's not working?

Thank you for clearing that up.

1. Not all circuits are supposed to have power. This is normal

2. Yes it may be related to your fuse box.

3. YES it is possible.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK so how do I find out if this harness is my problem?

That is what I am trying to help you with.

Check power in and out of the fusible links.

Locate the fusible links and check for power on the red wire leaving the fusible links.

Let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I already did and I already told you that the one coming from the battery is fine...the wires then leave and go to this harnesses...ALL links after have NO power...

Ok, then all links are bad like I mentioned much earlier in this conversation.

Replace them and that will fix the electrical issue on the vehicle.

I am glad I can help! You are most welcome! My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Oldsmobile Technician