Oldsmobile

Oldsmobile questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1981 Olds 98 having trouble with temperature control inside…

Customer Question
1981 Olds 98 having...

1981 Olds 98 having trouble with temperature control inside car. heater core changed & engine is operating at normal temp. adjusting lever from hot to cold doesn't seem to change anything.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?

Yes. coolant level is fine & no leaks.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 98 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. changed heater core & thermostat

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think temperature is adjusted by vacuum, but not sure how it works

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Oldsmobile
11/14/2017
Oldsmobile Mechanic: roybelding, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
roybelding
roybelding, ASE Certified Technician

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

ok

is this manual ac or automatic climate control???

manual

ok, thanks. yes, it is controlled by vacuum. there is a vacuum rotary valve behind the control head that sends vacuum to the mode door to move it back and forth. can you hear the door moving???

Roy

i can't hear the door moving. is it hard to get at the mode door to see if it's sticking? is it possible to get a diagram of vacuum rotary valve & mode door?

my info system has no diagrams. it is too old.

the valve is behind the control head and the mode door is under the dash. you can go under the dash and move them with your hand until you find the one that allows heat. then check for vacuum when you command heat

Roy