Oldsmobile

Oldsmobile questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1980 cutlass supreme 5.0, at first it was having…

I have a 1980...

I have a 1980 cutlass supreme 5.0, at first it was having trouble starting, then all the sudden it started to bog down while driving if I srped the gas pedal. I was able to press the gas pedal less and less until I'd start it and it would bog out by itself. Now it won't even turn over and start. It does turn at normal rate. I have a cam and pipes.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

I get like 9 miles to the gallon and it makes a scraping noise when I try to start it. It doesn't start anymore it just tries to.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cutlass Supreme yourself? What have you tried so far?

I've been able to fix almost any car, but I have never dealt with a car this old. So far I checked to make sure fuel injectors worked. When I press the gas all the way down it would start for a second. I need to change all the spark plugs and was on my way to do that when it doesn't on me, but I'm not sure that would cause this issue.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It misfires a ton when I'm not accelerating fast.

11/5/2017
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

First of all, it sounds as though your starter needs to be shimmed so it don't scrape or grind anymore and when you remove it to install the shim/s , turn over the flywheel/flexplate 1 full turn and check all the teeth. If any are damaged really bad, you may still have that problem even after shimming.

Now, onto the trouble starting. I don't understand what the word "srped" means when you say "srped the gas pedal".

Check and make sure the carburetor choke is working. It should be closed with a slight spring pressure holding it closed when the engine is cold and cold weather. It may be just a little open, maybe like 1/8" when the engine is cold in warm weather. Either way, as soon as the engine starts, the choke pulloff should open the choke slightly, like 1/8", then the choke should gradually open while the engine is warming up until after the thermostat opens, the choke would be wide open.

Make sure the accelerator pump in the carb works, with the engine cold, hold open the choke, look down the carb air horn, then quickly snap open the throttle once and look to see a stream of gas out of the front barrel/s down into the carb bore. If not, you need an accelerator pump and most likely it's the rubber portion that is busted although sometimes the little check ball gets stuck with carbon, dirt, etc.

Change the fuel filter, too if you haven't done that yet. Is 9 mpg about right for the cam you have?

A couple of shots of staring fluid down the carb air horn should tell if it should start or not and if it's a fuel issue or not. If it starts with starting fluid, then it is a fuel issue but if it don't, it could be an ignition issue or worse yet engine mechanical, like timing chain, etc.

I checked everything humanly possible, then went to drop the gas tank and it was empty. Sorry to waste your time!

No problem!

Don't forget to rate me well, so I get credit. If you don't, the deposit you made will just sit there and I won't get my share of it.

Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician