Oldsmobile

Oldsmobile questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2001 Olds Alero and I have a p0452 code fuel

pressure sensor low voltage so...
I have a 2001 Olds Alero and I have a p0452 code fuel pressure sensor low voltage so I hook up a scan tool not a expensive one but tells basics and Im getting 0 volts on my scan tool for the fuel pressure sensor. Its a three wire system reference wire thats gray, a signal wire thats green and ground wire thats orange so I checked the reference wire gray and get 4.99 volts I took the leads off my scan tool and jumped the reference wire gray to the signal wire green and I get 5 volts so that tells me the signal is good all the way to the pcm ( I cut a door in the floor to access the fuel pump). I audible the ground wire and it sounds on my multimeter so im assuming the ground is good so I came to the conclusion the fuel pressure sensor was bad I bought a fuel pressure sensor and put the new one in and I cleared the code with the scan tool I turned the engine on and the MIL light stayed off for a minute then it turned back on what else could it be? The PCM itself is bad pls help. THANKS
10/14/2017
KALAMYKID
KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech

You did not have to open a new question. I can still help you on the one we where working on. Did you do the ohms test on all three wires all the way back to the pcm plug?

I did a omhs test to the pcm and all the wiring is checking out good. You helped me on a fuel pump question on my 1997 buick lasabre just wanted to let you know that u told me the furl pump was bad and you were right it was the fuel pump Thanks you

Did you check the ohs readings between the three wires as well? You can test all three of them against each other if you have the pcm unplugged as well as the sensor, at the sensor plug, but you need to test them on the pcm plug as well. Then test each wire to a ground please.

ok ill get back thanks

Thank you.

A quick question when I unplugged my pcm and plugged it back in all my lights are on the brake light the anti-lock light my fuel guage isnt reading anymore and my radio says calibrate. Do I just have to drive it to recalibrate and they will go off on there own or do I need to do something? Thanks

Did you disconnect the battery before you unplugged the pcm?

No
I will next time for sure

That should reset everything, the bcm did not loose power, and lost com with the pcm when you unplugged it. When you reconnect the battery everything should work correctly.

ok thank u

You are very welcome.

I checked the three wires from the fuel pump pressure signal to the pcm they check out and checked to ground and that was fine also

The next thing to do is to cut the pig tail off of the old pump for the ftp sensor leaving as much wire as possible. plug everything back up but the ftp sensor. Plug the pig tail from the old pump up to the ftp sensor. strip the ends of the three wires and twist them tight so the wires is stronger. The slide the wires into the new plug for the ftp sensor so we can do the next test. Make sure to put the wires from the old plug into the new plug in the correct order. Let me know when yu have this done and we can do the next test.

Ok
I put the new connector on the ftp at the gas tank.

I am so sorry. I have been up with a customer for two days and had to get some sleep. Pull the dark green wire out of the old connector so you can test it, but leave the other two wires in the plug so they get power from the pcm. With the ignition switch on, what is the voltage to the dark green wire?

I'm sorry I've been busy also got family and kids and understand you do to and. Just whenever you can help its appreciated thank you. I'm getting 0v at the dark green.

Everything says that the sensor is bad. You have the voltage going to the sensor, but nothing coming out of it. Did you apply vacuum to the sensor with the pig tail connected so you can test test the green wire?

I did and still nothing I dont know I replaced the ftp sensor with a new one from autozone and still nothing and then I changed the pcm with a new one from protech auto computers and still showing the code. Thanks for all your help I'm trying to rate your 5 stars on this but its not letting me.

What size engine does your car have in it? I'm not ready to give up on this, so if you want we can keep working on it.

Its a 2.4L everything I've done was telling me the ftp sensor and I changed it and the pcm and the code still on. I dont if my luck is that bad where the the 3rd ftp sensor is defective.

Set your meter to dc volts and with the ignition switch in the run position, hold the red test lead to the gray wire, and the black lead to the orange wire with a black strip and tell me what the voltage is please? With the sensor unplugged.

Hey just wanted to let you know doing what you just said I get 5v. I dont know what I did but I jumped the reference gray 5v wire to the signal green wire I was getting 0v until I just jumped it then with it jumped im getting 5v on the green. So I put my scan tool in and with the car to on I erased the codes then I rechecked the car and got a p0453 ftp voltage high now so I erased that code with the jumper unplugged and I restarted the car and now I'm getting no code and the mil light is off the cars been running for 10 mins and the code is still not comming on

Now that is very odd. Lets see if the code comes back after you drive it a little bit.

KALAMYKID
KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech
Thanks for all your help Idk like I said I jumped the gray reference 5v and green was at 0v but with it jumped the green then went to 5v so with it jumped I turned the car on and hooked up my scan tool and the p0452 code ftp low voltage went off and a p0453 code voltage high came on so I took the jumper off and with the car still on I erased the p0453 voltage high and started the car and the mil light and codes didnt come on and its been running still not on im going to drive it for awhile and let you know if it comes back on. I honestly dont know why it did what it did but it worked im lost but ill let you know thanks for all your help thank you

You are very welcome.