Oldsmobile

Oldsmobile Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Oldsmobile

I have a 2001 Olds Alero and my check engine light is on the

code is P0452 I have...
I have a 2001 Olds Alero and my check engine light is on the code is P0452 I have changed the purge valve solenoid there was hoses that had a small leak in the evap system I changed, I also changed the whole fuel pump, the map sensor, fuel pressure regulator and my scan tool is still saying P042 (FTP) fuel tank pressure sensor circuit low voltage what else could be wrong? Thank you
10/9/2017
KALAMYKID
KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech

What size engine does your car have in it?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Its a 2.4L v6

Do you have a digital volt meter and a test light as well as a piece of wire about three foo long so we can do some testing?

Do you have a scan tool that has live engine data?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i do

Start the car and let it idle for abut 1 minute. See what the voltage is for the ftp sensor please.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok I will one sec but I changed the whole fuel pump out old one was bad. Im assuming a new sensor comes with the old pump. be right back thanks

Yes the new pump should have come with a new sensor, bu that does not mean that it is a good one.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry for my ignorance but i dont know how to interpret this tool but here is what everything my tool reads hope its in here. Fuel Sys 1= CL, Fuel Sys 2= NA, Calc Load%= 16.5, ECT%= 194, STFT B1%= -10.2, LTFT B1= 5.5, MAP(inHg)= 10.6, SPARK ADV= 9.0, IAT= 123.8, TPS%=0, STFT B1S1= -4.7, O2S B1S2(V)= .185, STFT B1S2= 99.2....

Your scan tool does not shoe the ftp sensor. Leave the ignition switch on engine not running, unplug the fuel pump wire harness, and test the gray wire for voltage please, on the car side of the connection. Tell me how many volts you have on the gray wire.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Im getting 4.99 volts

test the orange wire with a black strip and see what the voltage is with the plug plugged back up please. Use a paper clip to slide along side the wire so the paper clip makes contact with the wire connector in the plug.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I got 5.9 millivolt with the key off and 15.5 with the key on then with key off again 1.1 millivolt to ground.

Is that 15.5 millivolts?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
sorry

Did the pump come with a new wire harness or did you reuse your old harness to the pump?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the pump came with a new wire harness and I did change it out.

Do you have the tank in the car?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
but I have access to the pump I cut a hole in the middle and made a door. Thats where I was checking the voltage from I dissconnected the plug going to the pump and checked the gray wire and orange wire.

Did you have the plug plugged back up when you tested the orange wire with a black strip?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did I had it plugged in with the paper clip along side of the orange wire and I tested with key off and key on.

Do you have the old pump?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i do. I didnt change the wiring harness with the gray and orange wire it didnt come with that one but I did change the wiring harness withe the 4 wires colored light gray, purple, black and black stripped with white.

I am confused. The wire harness for the fuel pump and ftp should be wired together and only have one plug under the car to it. How did you only change part of the wire harness?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok I bought the new pump and it came with a connector that had 4 wires gray, purple, black, and black stripped I changed that connector cause it was a different configuration on the new pump than the old pump. The top of the pump has 2 plug connectors a 3 wired one and a four wired one.

So you only changed the plug to the fuel pump, not the whole harness correct?

Can you swap out the ftp sensor with the old one, and retest the orange wire with the black strip please?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
correct

Swap out the sensor and lets see if you get any voltage please.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is there another way to test the ftp? Can I plug the old one in without being inside the pump with my finger on the bottom? What voltage am I suppose to have on the orange?

You can just plug it up, but we can not test the function with out installing it. I just want to see if the voltage changes when you swap it out.

If you can apply vacuum to the tip of the sensor with it plugged up, the voltage should get higher with the more vacuum you apply.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How much vacuum?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have a vacuum gun

Slowly add vacuum to the sensor and watch the voltage, the more vacuum pressure there is the higher the voltage should go. It will top out at 4.99 volts.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok so the orange wire should get 4.99 also ill get back to u thanks

The gray wire will have 4.99 volts, the orange wire with a black strip will increase in voltage the more you apply vacuum to the sensor.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok so I put the old one in and it tests 2.0 millivolts then when i turn the key on it jumps to 20 millivolts then goes back down
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the new ftp and the old ftp do the same thing

Did you test it applying vacuum?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I put it in the new pump thru my access door I made to get to the pump thru under the seat floor

I thought you where just going to plug it up and then apply vacuum to the tip of the sensor with your vacuum gun?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no i just took it off the new pump to be safe with the readings. should i use the vaccum gun and test it?

yes please.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok I tried the old one and the new ftp and they both read the same with vacuum applied they both were at 1.9 millvolts with key off the with key on it jumped to 8.9 the with vacuum added slowly all the way up to 30 lbs it increased the millivolts till it got to 218.8 with vacuum at 30 lbs

Do the same test but this time test the dark green wire.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I got no voltage reading thru the green wire just millivolt reading as vacuum increased.

The next step will be to do an ohms test on all three wires from the senor all the way back tot he pcm, as well as to ground to see if any of them are shorted to ground, or there is a break in the wire.

You will need to do this test with the sensor and the computer unplugged.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok is there a certain reading Im looking for? Or am I doing a audible test on the meter?

From plug at pcm, to plug at ftp, the reading should be 0.00, then from each plug top ground, or any other wire the reading should be OL.

KALAMYKID
KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech
KALAMYKID
KALAMYKID
KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech