K, Wiggins
K, Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Technician, Associates Degree in Automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

My 89 delta 88 won't turn over. Relatively new battery, all

Customer Question

my 89 delta 88 won't turn over. Relatively new battery, all the lights come on but no sound.
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: diagnostic lights like check engine, check oil, etc.
JA: Are you fixing your Delta 88 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i always try to see if I can tackle anything before I take it to a professional. In this case, I can't start it, so it would have to be towed.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: wish I knew more to say
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  K, Wiggins replied 1 month ago.

Hello, it oculd be the ignition switch, transmission position switch or starter. We can do a quick test using a test light. At the transmission switch located on the top of transmission (see picture below) check the yellow wire for voltage with the key in start. IF voltage is present the ignition switch is good.

No again with the key in start check voltage on the purple wire at the switch. If there is no voltage the switch is bad. If there is voltage and you also have voltage on the large battery cable at the starter then the starter is bad. By voltage I mean 12.6 volts or close to it.