Oldsmobile

Oldsmobile Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Oldsmobile

Terrible rattling sound while idling at low RPMs. Idler

Customer Question
Terrible rattling sound while...

Terrible rattling sound while idling at low RPMs. Idler pulley is good, turned the rest by hand and didn't notice anything out of the norm, thinking maybe water pump? rattle goes away when accelerating and driving

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

A couple of days. sounds like the drive/belt side with hood open, but sitting in driver seat with door open can hear it almost directly under the car. In my experience, sounds are very misleading.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Oldsmobile?

1990 olds 98 regency

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Regency yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. i pulled the idler pulley, felt fine but tried a new one anyway, didn't change anything, and manually turned alternator, crankshaft, water pump, etc by hand and none made noise or felt bad. though i can't turn them by hand at 600 rpm

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that i can think of'

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Oldsmobile
8/7/2017
Oldsmobile Mechanic: KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 6 months ago
KALAMYKID
KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech

To help isolate the location of your noise, can you remove the belt and start the engine and see if you still hear the noise? Do

not let it run for long, just long enough to see if you still hear the noise.

Dave Nova
Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Oldsmobile Tech