Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25+ years experience and ASE Certified.
20625509

I have a 1998 Bravada. All the gauges dropped and it dies

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Bravada. All the gauges dropped and it dies intermittently. And then it'll start back up but it does it quite often.
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Yes
JA: Are you fixing your Bravada yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I replace the crankshaft positioning sensor
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No the only thing I can think of is the ignition switch.
Category: Oldsmobile
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Tims Auto Repair replied 2 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.
I will do my best to assist you.

does it seem like the gauges shut off first?before the engine dies?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it does it simultaneously

does it always start right back?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sometimes it will and sometimes it takes a while

do you get any trouble codes?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I got a couple I haven't checked in a while but one of them was crankshaft positioning sensor. I'm afraid to take it up in the event that it dies in the middle of the road.

you dont have an obd2 scanner?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No I do not I take it up to Knecht's it's not too far but I am going to need somebody to follow me

from the way you explain the problem.is the ignition switch..i have seen the switch do this

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That's what I was thinking but why would it start up again intermittently?

try this before replacing the switch.

remove the wire harnesses from the pcm[computer and the bcm[body control module] and clean the terminals with electronic parts cleaner,,then reinstall the harnesses,,sometimes the terminals can corrode and cause a silimiler problem as yours

thanks

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will try that no I understand exactly what you're saying thank you for your help

you are very welcome

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay Tim I did exactly what you said. It started up ran for a bit and died. When I spray starting fluid in it fires but it won't run.

HOW MUCH FUEL PRESSURE DOES IT HAVE?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Do I have to check that when it's running or can I check it when the key is on?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I know it has fuel pressure when it's running because it runs and then soon as it stops a fuel pressure goes away.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have a fuel pressure gauge but I can't check it until it's running.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The gauges drop .all of them. even the RPM gauge immediately as it dies so it has to be something electric is what I'm thinking.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The funny thing is the RPM gauge doesn't go down as the engine slows down when it dies. It drops rapidly then it dies..
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
All the gauges do that. The Lights stay on and it still cranks over it just will not start.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Could it be the voltage regulator?

ok

please stand by,,i will opt out,,perhaps one of the other guys has a better idea of what is going on here.

someone will be right with you

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is there anybody that's going to answer my question?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If I don't get an answer I want my money back
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This is so uncool why doesn't somebody answer me?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay this is the new deal. It gets no spark I thought it was the security system. I look up how to reset the security system did it and that wasn't the issue. Unless I didn't do it right.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

I see the ECM1 fuse in the underhood fuse block feeds the crank shaft position sensor, the fuel injectors, ignition control module and ignition coil. So hook a voltmeter up to that fuse and when the next time you loose everything, see if also you are loosing voltage at that fuse. At least that is a start to help figure this out, then depending on whether or not you loose voltage there, you can move the voltmeter in one direction or the other and test again.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

Also, you don't have to have the engine running to check fuel pressure. Once you turn the key to run, the fuel pump should run for 2 seconds.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

Also, what security reset or relearn procedure did you use and is there even a security light or anti-theft message on or flashing past bulb check, about 10 seconds after first turning the key to run?

If not, don't worry about it bit if so try a spare key or clean that key and try again.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

If you have no spark right now, first check that ECM 1 fuse.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

Then if the fuse is ok, wiggle it and then wiggle he wires on the crankshaft position sensor also and try again.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

Another thing is you can purchase an actron pocket code reader for about $30.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

I would suggest you actually mount that voltmeter where you can see it under the dash and run the wires to that fuse and ground, that way you can watch it all the time.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

If the ECM 1 fuse is loosing voltage then move the voltmeter to the gauges fuse cause both of them fuses are fed from the ignition switch and if the gauges fuse also looses voltage you may just have a faulty ignition switch. The gauges fuse is in the I/P fuse block.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

IF so, before condemning the ignition switch move the voltmeter to the fuse feeding the ignition switch and check again, the IGN A fuse under the hood, so if it's ok there then and the gauges and ECM 1 fuse loose power than it is the ignition switch or a connection at the ignition switch harness.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

Even before the IGN A fuse is a mega 175 a fuse.

Here are those wiring diagrams,

Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

That ECM 1 fuse also feeds the pcm which in turn activates that fuel pump relay.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

So, as of right now, is there a security or anti-theft message remaining on or flashing past bulb check, 10 seconds after the key is first turned to run?

Does the fuel pump run for 2 seconds and does that ECM 1 fuse have voltage with the key on run right now, engine on or off?

Do you have spark?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

Actually you would be able to tell if the IGN A fuse had voltage, if the starter works or not.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you you give me a lot to do I will do that and get back to you
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

Why don't you just answer them questions that you probably already know the answer to?

Does the fuel pump run for 2 seconds?

Do you have spark?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No there is no anti-theft light coming on and I am not sure if the fuel pump is coming on I can check that real quick
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

ok

Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

Does the fuel pump run for 2 seconds after you first turn the key to run, before you turn the key to start?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I do not have a tester I have to wait for my buddy to get home to use his
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

You mean a voltmeter?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
that is what I meant
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

Ok, let me know when you have it and are ready. I will be online here all day long, until late like 10pm or so.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

Any news?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

Don't forget to rate me well, so I get credit. If you don't, the deposit you made will just sit there and I won't get my share of it.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've been taking a nap I will do some of that here in a bit thank you for your time and I will rate you.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

k, I am signing off here very shortly, so I will check in on you tomorrow if you still need help.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay thank you. I'm disabled so I move real slow LOL but I will get to it and I will definitely rate you thank you so much for your help
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

ok

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay I checked the power at the ignition fuse but it has power even when the ignition is off so that's not telling me anything.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

After all that I said, why is that the only fuse you check?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

What about the ECM1 fuse?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

The IGN A fuse is supposed to be hot all the time. what you are looking for is where it looses voltage when the problems are occurring, so you have to either wait to it happens again or wiggle wires trying to recreate it and then test.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I checked the check that fuse but should I check the power going to that fuse to?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

Don't test any fuse until you have the problem, then check what I said. Checking when things are working ok, will not find any problem. You have to wait until the problem is present.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay sorry lot information I miss that
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay the ECM one has power. The ECM B has very low power. And I don't have a voltmeter so I'm testing it with a light bulb.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We have a voltmeter but it just doesn't work
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

Get another voltmeter cause that voltage is very important. Let me know when you get the actual voltages.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

ECMB powers the fuel pump relay and fuel pump so if it is low, the fuel pump probably won't work or work very poorly.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

The ECMB fuse also powers the PCM and that is major, cause it has to power so many things.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

The only thing I see before that ECM B fuse is that 171a battery mega fuse and that mega fuse also feeds that IGN A fuse so see if either of those 2 fuses are also low, and make sure the battery does have 12 volts.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

Any news?

That was a 175a fuse not 171a, typo.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not yet my friend I'm going to get a voltmeter here in a bit I will let you know
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

ok

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I apologize I just can't work on that thing for too long without having to rest. But I will let you know as soon as I get that done.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

ok