Oldsmobile

Oldsmobile questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 3.5L. Won't start. When key is

Customer Question
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 3.5L...

2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 3.5L. Won't start. When key is turned, the serpentine belt spins and there is a metallic clicking sound. All electrical is working fine. Battery (2 years) and alternator (less than 1 year) were recently replaced along with plugs and boots.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car?

222000

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Aurora yourself? What have you tried so far?

I would like to fix it myself yes. I tapped the starter. Only difference after that was a pop a couple of times. I was going to replace the Crankshaft position sensor, but wanted to investigate a bit more before I took it apart. The car stalled while running and hasn't been able to start since.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It was low on oil. I put 4 quarts in.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Oldsmobile
7/31/2017
Oldsmobile Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. Are you getting any codes?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't have a scanner for codes. The dash just says change oil, low coolant (it isn't), low tires (aren't), and stability control system which it has indicated for over 2 years.

You can pick up code reader for about 20 bucks now a days, It would be nice to see what codes are going on in the vehicle

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK. going to go get one and check the codes.

Sounds good, its nice to have one of those anyways with todays cars

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Codes are:
P0036
P0135
P0137
P0140
P0340
P0442

ok delete all those codes and see what comes back on cranking

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
P0036 was only code that came back.

ok getting some instructions now

Ok look at the cam and crank sensors on there see if the wiring is ok and connectors are not damaged and pins are allright , more than likely they both need replacement, very common on these engines, after we get that solved and the engine running with the 36 code you will prob need that 02 sensor if the wiring is ok, but because of the situation I would like to get the cam and crank figured out first and engine running before we attack anything else

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can't get the starter out to get to the cps, between the transmission coolant lines and the motor mount, there isn't enough clearance.

you may have to take loose the lines to move them out of the way

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
New cps and new starter, no change...

have you backprobed the cam sensor to see if your getting signal there?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Got it to a shop. Not getting compression. They think it's timing chain. Probably going to junk it at this point. Done putting money and time in it.

I would agree with you on that one those cars are a pile of problems, if you want something that is low repair and maintenance any Camry is great. You can also sell that car online and play dumb say its having problems and you dont know what it is, if your lucky you could get 2k for that