Pete, Oldsmobile Technician
Experience:  17 years Oldsmobile training and experience.
14928985

My 1996 Bravada quit 6 times and started immediately in

Customer Question

My 1996 Bravada quit 6 times and started immediately in Denver altitude after traveling 500 miles. No codes or obvious problems. Could the computer shut it down....or what? Any thoughts?
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: yes
JA: Are you fixing your Bravada yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: not myself. Two mechanics could find nothing using visual inspection and plugging in the hand held computer. No emission codes either.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Had just traveled 4,000 miles from San Diego to St. Louis to Fayetteville Arkansas and back to Denver. Each time the engine started immediately once I was had coasted over to the shoulder.
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Usually this wont be a computer fault here.I wouldnt rule out the computer as the cause especially if no codes are set as it is possible but not likely.

One component I have seen cause sudden shut down then start up again is the ignition control module.This heats up and starts to act up like you see here with a stall out but a restart is allowed right away.This is located with the ignition coil on the passenger side of the engine on the side of the intake assembly.I have had to replace this ignition module in the past before for this fault here.The other issue is the crank sensor sending a false or no signal at all located at the bottom of the timing cover.I would start with replacing the crank sensor and see if the issue returns.If it does then I would replace the ignition control module.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi, just checking in to see how things are going. Do you need further assistance?