Amedee
Amedee, Oldsmobile Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Arorua 4.0, new alternator putting out over 17 volts.

Customer Question

arorua 4.0, new alternator putting out over 17 volts. regulator changed out twice. Checks ok on test but in the car it puts out high voltage
JA: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?
Customer: I do and the one marked thermistor is ok visually
JA: What is the model of your '17 Oldsmobile?
Customer: it is a 98 Aroora, 4.0 northstar
JA: Are you fixing your 98 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The alternator went out so I removed it and had it rebuilt. When it started the overcharging, I took it back out and back to the rebuilder. It checked ok on his bench but he replaced the regulator antway. Said that the thermistor might be the problem
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  Amedee replied 7 months ago.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help you anyway I can.

Expert:  Amedee replied 7 months ago.

On the positive battery cable there is a thermistor to sense battery temperature. This is likley the root cause of the overcharging condition. Disconnect it and jump the Orange and Light Blue wires together, then see if the alternator charges normally. If so, the thermistor is bad and will need to be replaced.

Expert:  Amedee replied 7 months ago.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STAR SERVICE" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.