Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Car acted like an altenator problem, switched it out, now

Customer Question

car acted like an altenator problem, switched it out, now seems to blow bulbs
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 001 oldsmobile Intrigue
JA: What year is your Intrigue?
Customer: 2001
JA: Are you fixing your Intrigue yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes,replaced the altenator, had the battery checked.
JA: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?
Customer: No, looks O.K.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: lights got dim originally.
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 8 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner till early morning.

Which bulbs have failed?

Are the others still dimming?

What is the battery voltage max/mon while running at various rpms and with various electrical loads on?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
first the dim headlights went, then the brights. My daughter has the car and I cant check voltage, all other functions work.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
how do I get the answer?

Sorry I logged after waiting 30 minutes.

Since you do not have the vehicle are you asking for information just to know what to expect hen she takes it to a shop?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Step one they need to monitor the alternator to confirm it is not overcharging. It should be 13-15 volts.

Net they need to confirm the battery is good and the connections are clean.

Then they need to monitor the power and ground to the headlights to make sure there are no resistance issues with the ground and no power surge on the power wire.

Please read this:

1. Understand it's not one answer and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.
  2. I do not work at or for Just Answer. You and I can only communicate on this page.
  3. When you're pleased or happy with my answer or efforts to help you. At the top of the screen please rate me or reply and say ( I'm pleased.)
  4. When I help you I am only paid from your question value deposit when you rate me on this screen. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to follow up.

Thanks for using Just Answer, Chris