Tims Auto Repair
Tims Auto Repair, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  have owned repair shop for 25 years
14541291

I have a 96 olds 98 regency and I have a relay clicking

Customer Question

I have a 96 olds 98 regency and I have a relay clicking behind my glovebox there is only 2 on the left side of the relay block and it is the 2nd one down on it not counting the unused ones but I think its my fuel pump relay but my fuel pump is running when it clicks? and it just cranks and wont start and it only happens when its cold outside and I can wait till later in the day and it starts fine?
Category: Oldsmobile
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it don't matter if u call or not I just want to get this fixed fast
Expert:  Tims Auto Repair replied 9 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.
I will do my best to assist you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok glad to hear

what engine do you have?

how and when did this problem first begin?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
3.8

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it happened last year at the start of fall when it first started getting cold and hasent happened since summer or warm weather began and also didn't happen sometimes when it was cold

ok

does the starter turn the engine?

do you have a spark on the plug wires?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it turns and does nothing but crank and I'm not sure I didn't check when it was happening it only happens some times

ok

the common thing that will cause this problem is the crank sensor

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
do you know is that the fuel pump relay or not?

give me just a moment,i will give you instructions as soon as i upload

i wouldnt think it is the pump if you hear the pump come on for the first two seconds when you first turn on the key

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok so can u tell me what relay it is then

not a relay..i think crank sensor

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
then why would the relay be clicking rapidly
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the whole time I'm trying to start it it just cranks and the relay just clicks rapidly

when you first turn on the key,,do you hear the pump come on for 2 seconds?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
now yes but when it was happening I couldn't tell u 100% but the fuel pump was running loudly when I had the key on
but I'm not sure of the low priming noise

ok

sense it wont start now,,do you hear the pump now?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no it starts now it just happened this morning when it was in the 40s then (I'm assuming sense it warmed up) about 4 hours later it started just fine and still is starting just fine for now

ok..

the next time it does it,,listen for the pump,,if the pump doesnt come on at all,then yes,,it may be the relay..

if you do hear the pump,,again,the crank sensor may be bad[common] on the 3.8//

please stand by,i will upload more info for you

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok but it did come on it was running like it always does I just didn't listen for the low priming noise also it runs constantly when I have the key on

ok,,if the pump runs constant,,then yes,,the fuel relay may be sticking..stand by please

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok

the best thing to do is when it doesn't start,,check the fuel pressure to either confirm it is or isnt a fuel problem,,if the pressure is ok,,replace the crank sensor,these are effected by temperature sometimes when they go bad

thanks'

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/amfsxe2579k29v8/0928-olds-FUEL%20PUMP%20RELAY.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/amfsxe2579k29v8/0928-olds-FUEL%20PUMP%20RELAY.doc?dl=0

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help