Oldsmobile

Oldsmobile Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Oldsmobile

I have a 2001 Oldsmobile Aurora with the 3.5 L V6. I am

Customer Question
trying to replace the Power...
I have a 2001 Oldsmobile Aurora with the 3.5 L V6. I am trying to replace the Power Steering Hight Pressure hose. Jacked the car up, put it on Tri-pod jacks, disconnected ythe hose from the reservoir above, disconnected all the brackets holding it tio the body and successfukky removed the back half of the hose that connects to the steering reservoir (it had separated where the rubber hose connects to a pressured metal fitting). Getting the front half out, even though it it disconnected from the rack and pinion, is impossible without deforming it, which I don't want to do because I prefer to thread the new hose in the same way I take the old one out. Poblem is, I can't get it past the stabilizer bar. Is there an easier way to remove and reinstall the new pressure hose?
JA: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?
Customer: I alreadydrained the fluid when disconnecting the hose!
JA: Sorry about that. I must have missed it. Could you tell me again?
Customer: I have a 2001 Oldsmobile Aurora with the 3.5 L V6. I am trying to replace the Power Steering High Pressure hose. Jacked the car up, put it on Tri-pod jacks, disconnected the hose from the reservoir above, disconnected all the brackets holding it tio the body and successfukky removed the back half of the hose that connects to the steering reservoir (it had separated where the rubber hose connects to a pressured metal fitting). Getting the front half out, even though it it disconnected from the rack and pinion, is impossible without deforming it, which I don't want to do because I prefer to thread the new hose in the same way I take the old one out. Poblem is, I can't get it past the stabilizer bar. Is there an easier way to remove and reinstall the new pressure hose?
JA: Are you fixing your Aurora yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I am fixing it myself. I have tried disconnecting both ends of the hose and only got the back half connected to the reservoir off which had separated into two pieces. The half connected to the rack and pinion is still in place although disconnected and loose.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The car is currently on Tri-pod jacks. I have not disconnected the stabilizer bar or any bolts which might be interfering with the removal of the hose!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Oldsmobile
8/10/2016
Oldsmobile Mechanic: Tims Auto Repair, Auto Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Tims Auto Repair
Tims Auto Repair, Auto Mechanic

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Tim!

just take the bolts out of the rack and let it drop down a little so you can remove/replace the hose

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k0yetwp6gub7ni8/0809-aurora-Power%20Steering%20Pressure%20Hose%20Replacement.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/k0yetwp6gub7ni8/0809-aurora-Power%20Steering%20Pressure%20Hose%20Replacement.doc?dl=0

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is this all for the V6 or V8?

this is for your 3.5 v6

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok! I'll try that and let you know!

you will get it

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sounded simple but clearance is rather restricted to remove the 2 bolts holding on the rack. Do you use a socket or open end wrench? For the socket, stabilizer bar is in the way. For the open end, have to go in at an angle that make a good grip impossible. Or maybe it neither of these tools!

you use what works the best for you,..

a wobble extension on a ratchet with a socket should work fine.

Tims Auto Repair
Tims Auto Repair
Tims Auto Repair, Auto Mechanic