Oldsmobile

Oldsmobile questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Driver side window regulator was intermittent now is stopped…

Customer Question
Driver side window regulator...

Driver side window regulator was intermittent now is stopped working. don't think its the motor assembly do you think its the switch or a broken wire. I don't understand why it worked occasionally. I had the same problem with the passenger side then it just started working all the time for no apparent reason.

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

It stopped working a couple of days ago and hasn't come back this time. I noticed that the window was going down a little bit each day probably from closing the door and I can't get it to go up.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Oldsmobile
2/26/2016
Oldsmobile Mechanic: Jay, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Jay
Jay, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

It is most commonly the window motor. The way you would verify it is to remove the door panel and check power and ground at the window motor while activating the switch Sometimes banging on the door will also jolt the internal motor contact to make to operate the glass also. The best way to really determine the direction required is to remove the door panel and check power and ground at the window motor when applied.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

I removed the door panel to access the motor assembly. Connected my volt meter to the contact points on the motor and operated the up/down switch. No voltage ever appeared at this point either positive or negative.

Do you have voltage at the main window switch?

Not sure where to take the reading. I saw 4 heavy wires going into the drivers side door module. I think they were Orange, Brown Purple and Black. None of theses wires had voltage on them, all the other wires were too small to carry the current. I believe the Brown & Purple are connected to the motor.
Also, all the other windows work correctly.

oh... if all the windows work, and you have no power to this window motor when operating the switch, that is a bad window switch.

You would need to replace that master window switch to resolve your issue. I thought they all were not working.

Do you have any more questions on this?

this is exactly what was happening to the passenger side window and all of a sudden it started working. Do you know why none of the heavy wires have voltage on them? How does the motor get its voltage from the car, all of the switch wires are very light duty.

If all the other windows are working, there has to be voltage somewhere to that master switch. But that could explain the passenger window stopped and started working also.

You need a new Master Window switch.