Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

Replacing the stsationary idler
, the bearings went out

Customer Question

Customer: Replacing the stsationary idler
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: the bearings went out and the idler leaned to one side causing the serpentine belt to shred. I have the motor mount loose but there isn't enough room to get it out of the way.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Oldsmobile Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: if you can help me
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating.

What kind of car do you have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
97 olds aurora
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

The engine cradle needs to be dropped. This is about a 3 hour job for an experienced technician.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the engine mount plate loose but I can't get the middle and lower bolts out of the holes because they hit on the frame. What is the engine cradle?
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

The engine cradle is the frame under your car that the engine sets in.

You will need to lower the right side so the engine can come down. You will then get the bots out.

There are several precautions for lowering the cradle as it can cause air bag problems

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok what precautions?
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

You say you have the engine mount removed. How are you supporting engine? can you lower the engine? The harmonic balancer will need to be removed for the engine to come down.

After reviewing this system it may not require the cradle be loosened.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a jack under the oil pan. I have a large piece of 3/4 plywood on top of the jack. The plate is not removed, just loose. I can move the plate but not enough to get it to clear the pulley stud.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you still there?
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

I dont understand.

Have you removed the harmonic balancer?

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

I am going to opt out as I have other commitments today.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, the motor mount is unbolted from the frame and from the mount plate. And the plate is unbolted from the engine, but there's not enough room to get the bolts out of the holes. I've already found another for post that has told me how to get it done, so I guess I've wasted $25 here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I get my money back?