rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

Have a 95 aurora, tranny problems, had it rebuilt. Problem

Customer Question

Have a 95 aurora, tranny problems, had it rebuilt. Problem now is rough engage for first gear. Runs fine when cold, once warm really hesitates then kicks in hard.
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

Not sure what it was doing wrong before the rebuild, but you have shift solenoids inside the trans as well as clutches that could possibly been installed incorrectly. There are some tests that can be done with a scan tool to see if the solenoids are working properly, but to check the clutches, if needs to be partially disassembled again.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have a three year warranty on the rebuild, have taken it back twice to have it checked. Second time he went through it again. Talked to another trans guy who owned one as well, he said that he had to replace an onboard computer to get it to smooth out. Can't recall which one. Does that sound possible?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Yes, that's why I mentioned a scan tool to run bi-directional tests. this will reveal your answer for sure.

Thanks again, Ron