George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified and dealer trained 15+ years
13574682

Oldsmobile Intrigue: I have 2000 Oldsmobile intrigue that I

Customer Question

I have 2000 Oldsmobile intrigue that I can't seem to get the blower motor going on. It is A single zone control. Jumped power to the blower motor and it does work. I have no power coming out of the harness going to the blower motor resistor. All the fuses are good but I have no power getting to the low blower fuse. The high blower fuse does have power. Any suggestions?
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Hello I will help you with your question, The low blower fuse gets its power through the ignition switch. Are you able to remove the shroud around the switch and check for power there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The shroud around the steering wheel? I have that removed already.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also which wire do I need to be checking?Edit- looks like I need to remove the radio, heater/ac controls, and the instrument cluster to access the wires behind the switch. Is this correct?
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
If you pull the HVAC control head you can get to the back of the ignition switch The orange wire from the electrical part of the key switch should go hot when you turn the key to the run position, if it does not replace the switch. If it does then we need to check the wiring between the fuse and the switch. Are you using a 12 volt testlight or a voltmeter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm using a test light. How do I go about testing the orange wire? Do I have to take the whole dash apart? Or is there an easier spot to access it?
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
The orange wire runs from the key switch to the fuse block, if the connector at the back of the switch is burnt you have to get to it for the repair or if the contact inside the switch is burnt you have to get to it to replace the switch. To replace the switch both the instrument cluster and the HVAC panel will need to come out. They want to make it hard to access the switch to prevent theft.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I ran out of time today I have to go to work but I will test it when I get off tonight and get back with you tomorrow if I need additional assistance. Just to be clear should I test the wire at the fuse box?
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
You have essentially done the test at the box, it may be an internal connection at the box but the real place to get to the cause of the problem is at the back of the switch. If you have power into the switch but nothing out on the orange wire when the switch is supposed to be connecting the power in to the orange wire then the switch is failed. You may have a burnt connection either at the swith, inside the switch or at the fuse block that is dropping the voltage down so you don't show anything with a testlight but if you had a voltmeter you might see a couple of volts. I plan on being here tomorrow so let me know how I can help Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will test with a voltmeter tonight and get back with you. Should it read at 12v?
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
If you have the connector plugged in and use a straight pin to probe inside the connector when you turn the key on with the blower set on medium speed you should see 12 volts at the orange wire or at least 11.5. If you have less than that check the power into the switch and if you have 12 volts there the switch or the connector is the problem. Check the connector for any burning or melting and if it is clean replace the electrical part of the ignition switch. Let me know what you find so I can help Thank you