Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

1999 Old Olero 2.4 l 4 cyl Starts fine when engine is cold

Customer Question

1999 Old Olero
2.4 l 4 cyl
Starts fine when engine is cold
As engine warms up begins to run rough then oil light flickers on when engine speed drops below 2000. Continuing to drive after that oil light comes on more frequently until it comes on and stays on. Light will go out briefly until it can only be made to go off if rpm are above 3000. Engine runs increasingly rough until engine eventually stalls. While this is happening water temp slowly rises. Car shakes, very noisy finally stalls and cannot be restarted. Trying to start as this point produces bad misfires, loud noises and shaking. If allowed to rest and cool for several hours car will start again and the cycle repeats although it takes less and less time to reach stall point.
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 2 years ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating.

A common problem on these engines is the oil pressure relief valve sticks causing oil pressure to be excessive. The excessive oil pressure causes the lifters to over pressurize holding the valves open and eventually causing engine to stall. The only proper repair is an oil pump replacement.

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 2 years ago.

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. A rating is required from you rating me. I am not an employee of this website. I do not have control over the fees, or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative, or not at all you still pay. I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 2 years ago.

It has been a couple of days since I have heard from you. Do you still need assistance? I have also noticed that I have not received a rating from you. If for some reason you question did not get answered please reply. I am only compensated for my time when you leave a positive rating. Your understanding is appreciated.