Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Oldsmobile Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

Oldsmobile Silhouette: I am having intermittent problems (usually

Customer Question

I am having intermittent problems (usually blows warm at idle) with the a/c in my 2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette. I hooked up my manifold gauge set and this is where it get tricky, becaue the van has front and rear a/c. I know when checking a conventional ac with gauges you turn the ac to max high and let the engine warm to normal running temp. I am not sure what to set the rear ac to. When the front is set, and the rear is off, I get 50 on the low and and 260 on the high. (it's 100 F here today) when the rear and front are both running, I get 65 on the low, and 200 on the high. When I run ONLY the rear, I get 80+ on the low, and 150 on the high. Are you supposed to run the rear ac when testing? Do I have a problem with a rear ac component? I wanted to get this part right first before tearing into why it blows warm often at idle.
Thank in advance for any help anyone can offer.
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  roybelding replied 2 years ago.
good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist
is the fan working on the radiator??? make sure the condenser and radiator are good and clean of all dirt and debris. it will restrict air flow and the ac will not work correctly.
how did you check freon level???
what other work has been done???
the low side is too high. should be around 35-40 lbs.
Roy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Roy,

My name is Ryan.

I am sorry for the delay in my reply, I was called out of town for work all last week.

The fan is indeed working on the radiator, and for the sake of good order, I went ahead and cleaned the condenser and and radiator to ensure proper airflow.

I checked the Freon level with a full set of manifold gauges, both high and low side.

Engine wise, the only work that has been done is a water pump replacement last year, and I recently replaced the thermostat and serpentine belt. ( issue was happening before serpentine belt and thermostat replacement).

I rechecked the levels closer to the evening, once it wasn't so humid and the low side was reading 40 on the dot. That was only with the front ac running though, the readings go crazy when you add the rear ac into the mix, doing what I mentioned in my first post.

I look forward to hearing back from you, and thanks again for the help.

ok, the rear has an issue. from the description of the pressure, it may need an orfice tube or expansion valve for the rear unit. running both units is how I test the units.
how much freon did you add to the system. it looks like it may be overcharged as well.
Roy