Oldsmobile

Oldsmobile questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera: Pete. I have an 89 Olds Cutlass…

Customer Question
Hi Pete. I have an...
Hi Pete. I have an 89 Olds Cutlass Ciera with 2.8L engine. It runs beautifully and smoothly and idles smoothly. After running for a while though, when coming to a stop it dies and restarts only with a lot of effort. It may require continual and rapid pumping of the accelerator to keep running and acts as if it's barely getting enough fuel to stay alive. If let sit for five to ten minutes, it may restart and run ok. When cold it starts fine and runs good. On advice from Aamco I replaced the MAP sensor which had absolutely no effect. They attempted a second diagnosis but came up empty. Another mechanic checked and said the problem was the fuel pump, which when replaced increased the fuel rail pressure from 25 to 39 psi. It seemed to cure the problem initially, and I even disconnected and reconnected the battery when told this would reset the car's computer. But the problem persists. Is it time for that final trip to Crazy Ray's (junk yard? Or is there some simple fix the pros are missing?? My gut is telling me there is a sensor controlling the operation which is not functioning properly when it gets hot. I'm thirsting for someone with enough experience to know what's going on here. THX!
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Oldsmobile
6/18/2015
Oldsmobile Mechanic: jazzmaster, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 years ago
jazzmaster
jazzmaster, ASE Certified Technician
hi, did anyone clean out /spray the throttle body ?was the fuel filter also changed ?