Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  over 25 years as a GM master tech
19513769

I have a 2004 Oldsmobile Alero with the 2.2 L eco motor. The

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Oldsmobile Alero with the 2.2 L eco motor. The motor started idling rough. We changed the plugs and plug boots. It didn't help. Then the car lost power and lifters were rattling and had belts squalling. Shut the car down and now it won't
start. It is getting fuel, It is getting fire. I have changed the MAPS sensor, I puled the crank sensor and it looks fine. When the engine is turning over with the breather off, it sounds like a deep sucking noise. Could it have jumped time. It's getting fire
and fuel but won't run. I had the codes scanned. It is showing a P0300, P0108, P0171 codes.
Category: Oldsmobile
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
My name is Gary
I am sorry for the long wait
yes the timing may have jumped
the next thing you need to check is compression
an engine needs spark and fuel and compression to run
it sounds like you have 2 out of the 3
remove the 4 spark plugs and do a compression test if the compression is below 120 on any or all of the cylinders the timing chain has jumped and when these jump it can bend valves
the cylinder head needs to come off and any bent valves replaced and it will need a new timing chain kit installed
a very common issue for these engines i am sorry to say
but confirm this with a compression gauge !
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Does this mean it is an interference motor? Did all of this model have interference motors on them?
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
yes that is what it means
this IS an interference motor
all the 2.2 vin F's were
very hard to find a free wheeling non interference engine around these days
the 3.4 V6 was NOT an interference motor
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok.. all cylinders have more than 120 on the compression check. If that's the case, is it a timing issue?
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
not is all the cylinder have over 120
if they do and it has good spark see if it will start on carb cleaner or starting fluid if it will some what run on the spray or starting fluid or carb cleaner then you need to see if you have an injector pulse OR water in your fuel or contaminated fuel
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tried starting fluid because I thought it might be a fuel issue. It didn't work.
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
the odds are the timing chained jumped
especially making that noise when cranking it over with the oil cap off like its trying to fire the cylinders but the valves are open at the wrong time
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there any other thing that it might be?
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
not is you confirmed spark and fuel and it will not run on fuel spray added the starting fluid or carb cleaner
you have to do a compression test next and like i said it just about is the only thing left to keep this engine from running is low or no compression due to a timing chain jumping