Oldsmobile

Oldsmobile Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Oldsmobile

Oldsmobile Alero: Is there only one gray wire to the fuel pump

Customer Question
Is there only one gray...
Is there only one gray wire to the fuel pump on a 2004 Olds Alero
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Oldsmobile
6/4/2015
Oldsmobile Mechanic: Jerry, Master Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Jerry, Master Mechanic
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I will be happy to assist you today.
.
Do the black wires have ground? There is a gray wire to the tank pressure sensor on top of the tank. Does the gray wire to the pump have power for 2 seconds when the key is first turned on?
.
There is one black wire and another black wire with a white tracer does both of these need a ground? The gray wire does have power for 2 seconds.
Actually let's focus on the black wire that is in the same connector as the gray one to the fuel pump. I assume the pump is not running and the engine not starting. Power at the gray, ground at the black, pump should run, thanks
It doesn't, we made a ground from the battery to the black wire, still no start, can you please call me at(###) ###-####
Sorry I am not set up for that at this time but if there is power, (12v) to the gray wire and ground to the black at the tank and the pump doesn't run, that is at the little connector on the inside of the tank, (that goes to the pump itself).
.
There were a problem on some of the other GM vehicles. They want you to replace the retainer that incorporates the connector but we could most times clean them up and put a new terminal on them just to make a good connection.
.
Jerry, Master Mechanic