Oldsmobile

Oldsmobile Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Oldsmobile

Oldsmobile auroa: my 2001 oldsmobile aurora runs fine in the

Customer Question
my 2001 oldsmobile aurora runs...
my 2001 oldsmobile aurora runs fine in the day but as soon as I turn on my headlights I get a theft system fault, service stability contol, and my ABS light comes on.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Oldsmobile
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/19/2015
Oldsmobile Mechanic: Lou P., ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Hello , it sounds like a alternate or ground issue. What are the codes you get from the modules if any. Or have you not checked the codes and just see the warning lights on the dash. ?
No codes. It only does it at night while driving. It runs fine. Doesn't have any issues starting at all. Even when the problems are happening it doesn't affect driving.
The headlights don't surge at all. It doesn't act like a bad alternator.
Ok that doesn't mean it's not a alternator. So is it light where you are at right now ? Can you try it during the daylight and see if the lights also come on ?
it does it randomly while the headlights are on. It doesn't matter if it's night or day. The theft system fault comes on as soon as you shift into drive while the headlights are on and the stability system and ABS lights come on randomly while driving. The stereo also randomly turns off then right back on while driving with the headlights on.
Ok I don't think the abs is part of this issue. If you have a bad wheel bearing or wheel speed sensor that will make the lights come on while driving. I don't think those are connected.
Now as far as the theft system. When you told me when you shift into drive that also makes me think there's a issue with the brake switch. What if you just keep pressing the brake without shifting the gear out of park. Can you try that ? It's possible that the brake switch has something to do with it. We need to rule that out.
it doesn't come on when I switch to reverse its only when I shift into drive.
it also makes the traction control turn off. Or at least the light says it's off when that happens.
I'm not saying the issue is the gears you are switching to , I'm saying the issue is when you press the brake in order to shift the lever. So I need you to simply start the car and press the brake a bunch of times and see if the warnings come on
I'm sorry that's what I was trying to say. No it doesn't come on from the brakes. I can hold the brake and it wont come on. It only comes on after shifting into drive. I'm sorry about the miscommunication.
Ok , it's ok this site takes some getting used to. Ok so if you shift it to drive and it comes on can you shift it back to park and it goes off ?
No. Once it's on it pretty much stays on. Once it's on it does some weird things. Like the windows go up and down in little spurts. Like its surging. It's a bunch of little movements instead on one constant movement. That only happens when the security system comes on.
Sorry what I mean is the windows do that when you try to roll them up or down.
The sunroof opens and closes fine even when that's happening to the other windows.
Ok. So you have a meter to just check voltage to make sure we are not dealing with a battery or alternate issue ? Then I can check a diagram and see what is the common denominator behind all those systems.
I do have one but I cant check at the moment. It's at my house and I wont be home from work until late tonight.
where would you like me to meter ( at the battery / alternator ) and how many amps / volts should it be reading.
Ok. Let's do that before we go any further. I will receive emails when you reply so no worries I will always respond. Just give me time. Have a good night. Lou
Just tested at the battery positive to positive and negative to negative make sure you cannot twist the battery terminals because of the battery has any looseness of the terminals it will give you all kinds of crazy issues and then if you have a way to fix the meter to the terminals or have a second person have them put it in gear and turn the lights on to put as much load on the battery as possible and see where the meter reads at. It should be between 13. just tested at the battery positive to positive and negative to negative make sure you cannot twist the battery terminals because of the battery has any looseness of the terminals it will give you all kinds of crazy issues and then if you have a way to fix the meter to the terminals or have a second person have them put it in gear and turn the lights on to put as much load on the battery as possible and see where the meter 13.0-14.6 no matter what. Any lower or higher and it's no good.
ok thank you very much for your time and I will get that done tomorrow and let you know what it says. I hope you have a great night as well.
Well thanks man. Until tomorrow.
Yes sir
And make sure the meter is set to volts. Just in case your not used to using a meter. If there are more than three settings for DC volts then use the closest to 20 as you can. That way the decimal point will be correct.
Dave Nova
Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Oldsmobile Tech