Oldsmobile

Oldsmobile Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Oldsmobile

Olds Silhouette: I have a 2000 Olds Silhouette. It will not

Customer Question
I have a 2000 Olds...
I have a 2000 Olds Silhouette. It will not go into overdrive. Could it be something other than the torque converter.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Oldsmobile
5/11/2015
Oldsmobile Mechanic: Gary, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.
I am sorry for the long wait
yes it can be a few other things
this is going to come down to a brake switch bad telling the computer the brake is on when its not which will not allow TCC activation or a computer not telling the TCC to lock up a bad TCC solenoid or a bad converter itself
the best action to take is to plug in a higher end scan tool to the van and see if the computer is showing the brake switch correct signal to the computer
if that checks out then with a meter testing the TCC signal wire from the computer turn on and off the TCC with the scan tool and see if the signal wire shows a good signal when turned ON if it does then while activating the TCC agaian with the scan tool listen to the transmission and listen for a clicking noise when the TCC is turned on and off with the scan tool if you do not hear the click then the TCC solenoid is bad if you do hear the click then the odds are the torque converter itself is the problem
Gary
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician