Pete, Oldsmobile Technician
Experience:  17 years Oldsmobile training and experience.
14928985

Vehicle cranks like it wants to start but doesnt. The fuel

Vehicle cranks like it wants to start but doesn't. The fuel filter was replaced, the fuel pump still pumps, battery is good, change coil and still won't start
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.I may need more info in some cases to help with answering your question.

Have you had fuel pressure and spark tested to see if any of these are an issue at all?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes and it checked ok

Can you tell me what the fuel pressure is/was when it was tested with the key on and engine off?

Is the security light on the dash flashing at all when you turn on the key or try and start the vehicle then release the key?

Let me know,thanks Pete
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

are you still there

I am here but I don't see a reply on the previous questions I posted.

Let me know,thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I just sent a third attempt to send you information -- quite a bit of info -- not sure why it is not going through!

This is starting to be frustrating!

It was tested and was ok per the book and the internet.

The security light is the same as always

vehicle just "died" while I was driving it and will crank, but not start

I apologize for the web site issue,not sure what had happened there.

If the security light is the same as it has been most likely this isn't security related here.

If you hold your foot to the floor on the gas pedal and crank over the engine will it start then or try and start?

If you cycle the key on for 5 seconds then off for 5 seconds and repeat about 5 times will it start up or try and start up then?

Let me know,thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Holding the gas pedal down -- was the same -- cranks like it wants to start, but doesn't

Same thing with the key trick -- cranks, no start

Can you tell me what the fuel pressure was?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no did not write it down and that was around 10pm last night after working on it for 6 hours. is there a particular number that we should be looking for that is different from a "manual" or the "internet"? 60-66 is what we were using

One main problem this vehicle has for this no start issue is a weak fuel pump,the pump may be pumping but may not have the correct pressure.This vehicle is picky on its pressure.The pressure with the key on and engine off should be between 60 and 66 psi.If it is even at 59 psi or lower it will cause this issue here.I have had to replace several fuel pumps for this issue here.

If you can re check the pressure and see if it is within range this would help so we can continue to try and locate the fault from there.If it isn't in range the pump needs replaced.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

husband is not home at the moment, and I can not remember what he did to check this, can you tell me and I will go try it?

This will require a fuel pressure test gage?Do you have one of these?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He does, but I probably don't know what it looks like to use it... ugh... problem with not working on vehicles with hubby

thought asking these questions would give him more avenues to look down and solve this issue

I do know that it sounds really strong when the pump does it's thing. not weak like the one in his truck that he did have to replace. Guess I will have to wait till he gets home to try, which is not for another 4.5 hours.

Is there a way to start this conversation back up when he does get home and does this test?

You can save this question to your favorite list on your internet or come back through the emails sent to you from this here.We can continue to work on this as much as needed until this is resolved.Feel free to rate my help above at any time,we can continue to work on this here before and/or after the rating.
If I do not reply right away when you do come back and post I will as soon as I can.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have done the rating for the time being as good, as it has not really shed much light on the situation. If we get the pressure test done and it is still within the range of 60-66, then these discussions have not moved us any closer to the solution. And we will have to seek further advice -- my son has mentioned asking questions about the computer for the vehicle and if something there, can be triggering the failure to start. If it is actually 59 or lower and I expend the money and time to replace it and it solves the issue, I will change the rating.

You can come back at any time if the pressure is within range and we can continue to work with this from there.You had said spark is good so the distributor and crank sensor should be o.k.

The fuel injectors may not be receiving voltage or a pulse signal,this will cause a no start as well.

If you have the fuel pressure checked and then come back and post the results we can continue from there.

Let me know,thanks Pete