Oldsmobile

Oldsmobile Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Oldsmobile

2001 Oldsmobile alero: wont start..wouldnt start..it started fine

Customer Question
2001 Oldsmobile alero wont start...
2001 Oldsmobile alero wont start. Ran fine then yesterday morning wouldn't start. Messed around for a bit and it started fine and ran fine all day. Then this morning the car did it again and hasn't started all day. I have spark but to fuel pressure. Security light not blinking so its not that. All fuses are good. Fuel pump is just a few months old and I hear it hum when I turn it on but still no fuel on fuel rail. Any ideas
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Oldsmobile
3/23/2012
Oldsmobile Mechanic: Amedee, Oldsmobile Technician replied 5 years ago
Amedee
Amedee, Oldsmobile Technician
Hello!

Have you checked the fuel pressure when cranking the engine over?
Only on fuel rail. Thinking about taking fuel filter off to see if I'm getting gas back there. Definitely not getting fuel to fuel rail
Ok.. we need to check fuel pressure at the rail. If there is no fuel pressure at the rail, then we go back and remove the fuel filter and check fuel pressure there. IT sounds like you have a bad/weak fuel pump..
Fuel pump was replaced like 2 months ago. I'm gonna take off fuel filter and check but I know its not pump. It wouldn't not work then work yesterday. I drove hundreds of miles after it did it. Started and stopped shutting of and starting car many times with no issues
You could have a bad fuel pump or you could be missing power to the fuel pump. If there is no or low fuel pressure, provided there is fuel in the tank, we just need to check power and ground going to the fuel pump.
Amedee
Amedee, Oldsmobile Technician
All connections are good. Checked. Working on filter. I need some new ideas here. I've dealt with many pumps going bad and I'm sure its not that
Ok.. tell me the fuel pressure at the rail and before the pump and I will be able to figure this out for you.
No pressure on rail or filter. Have tank dropped so now what should I check??? It kicks on. I'd hate to spend another 260 on pump for nothing. Is there a good way to check it if I pull it all the way out to knowif its functioning properly??
IF the fuel pump has FULL battery voltage and a good ground and it is coming on, then it should be pumping fuel out the pressure line unless something inside the tank got jazzed up or is not connected properly. Also, be sure that the wires going to the fuel pump are not switched.
What should the bolts be going into it?? I noticed that this car has astro start. I've never had the remote and where the on off switch should be under dash there are 3 wires that look like used to be going to the switch. If I touch one to metal my trunk opens. Another my doors unlock. Could this be messing something up?? Just an idea. Just stumbled on it when I noticed sticker under Hood saying to flip kill switch under dash before working on vehicle. Or would that prevent it from having Spark if that were the case??
If you are asking about the voltage, it should be FULL battery voltage going to the fuel pump. 12.0 volts.
How do I remove bracket holding in the pump?? It seems like it should twist then come off but no such luck
It gets turned to the left or counter clockwise. It will move a few inches and then pop loose
Do u think astro start switch missing could kill fuel or would they kill spark
It all depends on how it was installed. I have never installed or removed one..
What do I want multimeter set on and which wires should I check
The gray or the purple wire should be battery voltage when cranking. Set it to 20 volts DC
I got 5 with key on. Should I be cranking it over as I'm checking???
Check for power when cranking. It should have FULL battery voltage on the GRAY wire when cranking.
K. Thanks. I'm burnt out tonight. I'll get back to it in the morning and bug u some more. Thanks
You bet!

I hope this helps! Please don't forget hit the green accept button so that I may get credit for the time that I have spent with you. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

I do hope you are as honest with me about your vehicle as I have been with you. If you have any further questions or if you need more assistance, just hit the reply button and we can continue our conversation. Please remember, even if you accept my answer now, you can still reply or respond back to this thread at any time you wish at no further cost to you.

In addition, please allow time between answers as I may be off line spending time with my family or assisting other customers. You can always request me by using the link through my profile page. Just Click on "AMEDEE" next to my picture and I will be sure to respond back in a timely manner.

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards

AMEDEE
I will definitely get back to it in the morning. I need my car. Just wanna be sure before I fork out the money for fuel pump. Been in garage like 14 hours today.p
Hello!

No problem!

Please let me know if you have any further questions!
Don't have anyone to crank it over while I try it. Need car so I'm just gonna try new pump. f**k it
Ok.. it is up to you.. you can in fact run a jumper wire from the power wire going to the fuel pump to a voltmeter inside the vehicle so that you can take a reading while cranking the engine over. I have done this many times before and it works good.
Fgood idea!!!
Let me know how it goes!
Replaced fuel pump. Wiring harness. Filter. Relay fuse. Nothing.g. got spark and now therapy fuel if I press tester on rail. Now what??
I just unhooked battery. I'm gonna wait 10 minutes and maybe it'll reset something. Should the theftlock light on radio blink until I put key in???
Hello!

Did you check fuel pressure when cranking the engine over?

Did you check power to the fuel pump?

What were the readings for both?
Powers good
Had to bring pressure tester back to afford pump. It doesn't spray out of rail like it should tho. O think I'm gonna double check that they gave me the right pump and double check for kinks
Ok.. let me know!
I'm gonna try new pump in morning
Sounds good!

Just be sure you have injector pulse and power to the pump when cranking.
There's pressure on rail but not much. Auto zone says its right pump. Should I assume news pump is bad since I have some pressure now but not enough????
How much fuel pressure do you have?
Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Oldsmobile Technician