Oldsmobile

Oldsmobile questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2003 Silhouette. Reset check traction control warning, Now…

2003 Silhouette. Reset check traction...
2003 Silhouette. Reset check traction control warning, Now cruise has quit. Can this be fixed by competant owner and if so how, or are we talking shop?
8/31/2011
Pete, Oldsmobile Technician
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer.
Hi.
Your cruise will be disabled with the traction message on as the computer systems will disable cruise when this type of fault is detected.
What needs to be done from here is to have the fault codes checked with a scan tool or code reader by a shop or dealer to see what code is set in the ABS computer that is causing this fault.
In most cases it may be a faulty wheel speed sensor causing this.
The codes for this fault can't be checked unless a scan tool or code reader is used.
I hope this helped,if you need anything else let me know.If you feel satisfied with the answer click accept as this is how I get credited for my time.
Thanks Pete!
OK, I don't know what caused the trouble message which appeared in the yellow box on the left lower side of the instrument display. I did not have occasion to use the cruise when the warning was being displayed.
Now the warning is not displaying and the traction control toggles on and off OK (it would not toggle when the message was displayed).
I used a code reader at OReilly to reset, or at leasr erase, the tractiion system warning. It sounds like the computer still thinks the error is being displayed. I guess if there is a bad wheel sensor that is that. How would you suggest I approach the service writer to avoid them running every code in the book, they quoted $90.00 just for this :(
They need to check fault codes in the ABS computer and this may not have been done previously.Then if fault codes are set they need to diagnose the vehicle from that fault code.
If no codes are set then the vehicle needs driven with the scan tool plugged in to observe wheel speed signals to see if one is cutting out or reading differently then the rest.
This would be the sensor that needs replaced.
Thanks Pete!
OK just this one follow up, If I toggle the traction off, will the cruise work$
No,as long as a fault code has been set the cruise won't work until the fault is corrected and the fault code cleared out with a scan tool or code reader.
Thanks Pete!
Pete, Oldsmobile Technician
What would the procedure to do this, ie what code, how does one set up the scan tool, etc.
e-mail***@******.***
If you have access to a scan tool that can communicate with the ABS computer you would plug it in under the dash at the DLC connector pictured below.

Then turn on the scan tool/code reader and depending on what type of code reader/scan tool you have it will either automatically check codes or you may have to scroll through the options to select brakes or ABS and then from there go to diagnostic trouble codes and scan for fault codes and it should display the fault codes.

Thanks Pete!
accept, thanks for completing the answer to my question
Rick
Your welcome.

Let me know if you need anything else in the future.

Thanks Pete!
Sept 6, 2011 Now for the final chapter:

We discovered, in the shop that this Van, other Olds vans as well as Ponitiac, and Chevrolet vans use the same brake, back up, turn signal and tail light assembly which has a VERY POORLY designed socket for the brake/tail bulbs that over heat, softening the socket plastic, and causing the bulb contacts to arc and corrode.
The visual evidence is that the brake lights quit working, who ever sees that?

So the scan tool does what is can but it is fooled by the open circuit at the brake bulb into thinking there has been an ABS failure which leads to hours of chasing ones' tail.

So the advice I paid you for is no doubt good if a wheel speed sensor fails, but in the real world your diagnosis will come in a distant 9th or 10th after the list of mechanical failures.

You will see this problem over and over as these vans age, hope this report will be helpful to you
Rick Covey
Thanks for the info on this I will keep this in mind.

Thanks Pete!