KALAMYKID
KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

Box with arrow pointing down on fluid means what on Oldsmobile Alero?

What does the "box with an arrow pointing down on a fluid" warning light mean on the Oldsmoblie Alero 2000?

KALAMYKID :

What size engine do you have please?

JACUSTOMER-nc1egr23- :

I believe its a 2.4. I just want to know what that means and what I can do or what I need to do?

KALAMYKID :

Can you give me the 8th VIN digit so I can look it up for you?

That would be the low coolant light.

JACUSTOMER-nc1egr23- :

Its 24576730 that was on the engine. So I need to get more coolant for the car then

KALAMYKID :

If the coolant is low you need to find the leak. Then fill the system back up

JACUSTOMER-nc1egr23- :

I don't think there is a leak. I think its just low

KALAMYKID :

If the system is low there HAS to be a leak. DO you have an auto zone or an advance auto parts near you?

JACUSTOMER-nc1egr23- :

Is the leak a easy fix?

Yes I do

KALAMYKID :

You can go to one of them and rent a cooling system pressure tester to help you find the leak. When you have found the leak and take the pressure tester back you will get all your money back

JACUSTOMER-nc1egr23- :

So what if the light comes on then turns off. That seems to happen sometimes too

KALAMYKID :

The tester is easy to use. Just put the tester where the radiator cap goes and pump the tester till you have 15 PSI on the system. Then you can see where the coolant is coming from.

KALAMYKID :

The sensor is in the side of the radiator : "if memory serves me correctly". When the coolant level dops the sensor drys and gets a reading to tell the light to come on. When the cooant flows through the system it can get the sesor wet again and cause the light to go out.

JACUSTOMER-nc1egr23- :

Ok thanks. So I shouldn't worry about it too much then? Meaning that its a red light that just started to come on

KALAMYKID :

No you should worry about it. If the coolant level is low the engine can over heat causing big engine trouble.

JACUSTOMER-nc1egr23- :

I mean its easy to fix and not cost me a lot of money. But yes that would be bad

KALAMYKID :

If the coolant level is low, the engine coolant temperature sensor can give false readings. the engine can over heat and the temperature gauge would still read normal

JACUSTOMER-nc1egr23- :

Oh.

KALAMYKID :

As for the cost to repair the leak, that can be small or big depending on where the leak is. If it is just a hose then it will be a cheap fix. If the radiator is leaking that can cost around $200.00

JACUSTOMER-nc1egr23- :

Well hopefully its a hose leak then. Thanks a lot. You were really helpful.

KALAMYKID :

You are very welcome