Russell H., Service Tech.
Experience:  10 yrs fixing office equipment. Decades of typewriter fixes.
13568747

I have an embassy shredder - never used - and it won't

I have an embassy shredder - never used - and it won't shred. Says the bin is full but it my first use and the bin is empty

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your shredder question.

I advise you first to try something, in case a basic effort will get it running... but, with caution! and with it unplugged, too, for the safety of your fingers, in case it starts running suddenly.

(And, it is quite possible that the shredder is defective from the store, in which case, returning it - or reporting it to Embassy for warranty repair - if not too late, would be appropriate.)

Now, please try unplugging it from the power. Then remove the bin, and check that it is quite empty of everything - dust included. Then also blow dust out of the underside of the shredder. (Do not get your fingers in it - the cutting edges are quite sharp.)

And make sure you re-mount it upon its bin, quite carefully, quite evenly.

Then after 10 minutes, please plug it in and try it again. Let me know how it behaves then, if you wish, and if it still does not work. Thank you.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I'll do that tomorrow. Not feeling well today.

A-OK. That makes sense: I hope all is well tomorrow.

Thank you - and you may return to this same question/case for further help tomorrow, also, without further charge or problems. This page (plus perhaps signing in to your JustAnswer.com account) is where to resume:

https://www.justanswer.com/office-equipment/eh9kx-embassy-shredder-used-won-t.html

Thank you.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Did what you suggested and It's the same. The motor grinds away but it does pull the paper down.

I am sorry to hear that. Do the cutting wheels pull in the paper when you push paper into them?

If not, it is stuck in reverse, I would surmise.

Please let me know how that goes - and take care of your fingers! for sure.