Office Equipment

Ask an Office Equipment Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

Office Equipment

Our Ativa shredder has been working quite well. However just…

Customer Question
Our Ativa shredder has...

Our Ativa shredder has been working quite well. However just recently I turn the shredder on and nothing happens. I have checked the plug and it's ok, any suggestions. Charles Leach

Technician's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

It's been about 4 or 5 days.

Technician's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I can.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I am to very mechanical. I know the machine is not that expensive and it's been a good machine if your advice doesn't work maybe I should look into a new one. It is certainly not overworked. I live in San Francisco, Ca.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Office Equipment
10/6/2017
Technician: Russell H., Service Tech. replied 4 months ago
Russell H., Service Tech.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

First, make sure the safety interlock is not activated, which would prevent the shredder's cutters from turning. The safety interlock is there to obviate the shredder turning On when unsafe conditions are present, e.g. not inserted properly into 'wastebasket', large object inserted into cutting area, etc.

Second, unplug it, look into cutting area: is there any object, or perhaps a clog of paper bits, anywhere in that area? if so, use a long thin object to try to dislodge it - making sure you never insert anything into that area where the cutter blades are, while the shredder is plugged in. Always unplug it before doing any such un-clogging attempt!

Third, how old is the Ativa shredder in question? let me know, and I will advise you further.

Russell H., Service Tech.