Office Equipment

Ask an Office Equipment Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

Office Equipment

I spilled coffee down the fax area, tried to dry it up but

now when I go to...
I spilled coffee down the fax area, tried to dry it up but now when I go to print 4X6 pictures they are all blue, is the printer ruined or can it be fixed
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It is a Pixma MX882 and I bought it in 2011
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: I have a dell insperon 15 3537
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: since yesterday when the coffee was spilled in it.
JA: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: not really, other than can it be fixed
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/4/2017
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

If you try to print something else like a text document, how does that come out?

If I scan something and then try to print it comes out blue, anything I print from my computer comes out fine.

Thank you for confirming,

Unfortunately this indicates a hardware problem which is considered a "fatal error" and will almost certainly require service.

This specific error pertains to a scanner pcb fault and/or logic board failure, which was damaged by the spill.

The only thing you can try in this case is to reset the machine:

unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

If still no change, it confirms an internal fault, which requires service. Service for these is not practical either, as repairs on your own would be $200-250, while you could buy a brand new machine for half that. As it is a 2011 model, it is far past its 3 year service anyway, so other parts would be expected to fail at any time now even if the spill had not happened.

Let me know how the reset goes, and I'll help with replacement recommendations, if needed.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

I do not need for him to call me back I think he has answered all my questions. Thank you anyway.

You're welcome. I will decline the call request then, so as not to cost you more unnecessarily.

If looking for a replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: http://amzn.to/2iDSGsO or http://amzn.to/2hQLirU

Note that these, like all consumer grade inkjet printers, are designed to be low cost and are essentially disposable after a few years, subsidized by the high cost of ink cartridges. If you wish to have a better quality and longer lasting printer, that comes with years worth of ink up front, consider the Epson ecotank models instead: http://amzn.to/1PpOj0C

Alternately, for a more business/commercial grade product that will be rated for a 5 year life, consider a laser printer. Lasers cost more up front also, but a toner cartridge can last for thousands of pages. A black only all in one laser is around $125: http://amzn.to/2fdn5PG

while a color model is about twice that: http://amzn.to/1n4I7Q5

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/2rRmuH2 and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Thank you.

You're very welcome.

Once you click the 5 stars at the top of the page, that will close our session, so that another tech does not accept the call and charge you more.

Nathan, Engineer
Nathan, Engineer