Office Equipment

Ask an Office Equipment Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

Fax intell 2820, giving a blank strip in copy & fax, says…

Fax intell 2820 Technician's...

Fax intell 2820

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

Giving a blank strip in copy & fax, says error in drum. Also paper getting stuck frequently

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Tried cleaning drum(sliding) 2-3 days

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

Thats it

8/30/2017
Russell H., Service Tech.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
Is the blank strip along the copies, or is it across them?

If it is across them, then the interval at which the blank strip occurs is significant; please tell me a bit more about the blank strip.

Its along the copy

OK... if there's only one blank strip and it is along the length of the copy, then you probably (taking it with the 'drum error') indicates a damaged drum, probably. Now the only other possible cause might, perhaps, be a damaged fuser roller.

The fuser is the heated element with rollers at the end of the path the paper takes through the fax machine while being printed. Don't touch it until after 5 minutes or longer from turning it off, or your fingers might be burned. Open it - it usually has a swinging cover, felted more or less, over the rollers. Examine and see whether one of the rollers has a stripe missing from it. If not, then I advise replacing the drum.

Does this answer your question?

Drum life is stll 72%.
Why paper is getting stuck frequently

That depends upon where in the printer it is getting stuck... and also please tell me, whether the stuck paper has the stripe visible on it yet?

Paper gets stuck in backside does not come out- gets wrinkled. Blank strip comes on if anything gets in on fax or copy

OK... is the toner/ink fixed to the paper by the time the paper gets stuck in the back side of the printer? or can it be rubbed around with a finger or thumb?

Its fixed does not come off on hand

If the paper is wrinkled, when it gets stuck, that could well be a defective fuser.

I advise examining the fuser, finding whether there is damage visible on one of the rollers (that might cause a missing band... the damage might look like a black stripe...) and if so, replace the fuser.

Now... if you open the fax half-way through printing, and there is no stripe on the print you remove, that would indicate the fuser is defective, also, and in need of being replaced.

(Does this answer your question ?)

Will try checking- thanks

OK, please let me know what you find out - and if you need further help, I'll advise you further.

Ok thanks

How did it go? if you would let me know, please.

I opened the cartridge case- cleaned it. Open the front saw some white of sticking to clear plastic( about where blank line would be). Cleaned it. Much better now

If the 'drum' or shiny cylinder had a label stuck to it, removing it will have damaged the sensitive coating on that drum, and your prints will never recover their full quality until you replace the drum/cartridge, it's fair to mention.

I'm glad it's better now. Would you be willing to rate my answer now (if the question is thoroughly done and ready to be closed) ?

There was no label- but lint like fuzz which i removed with a Q -tip. But anyway thanks - your guidance was moderately helpful. I think blank line was because of whiteoff!
Thank you for your help

If the toner in the cartridge was of second-rate quality, there may be a fine amount of lint in it, which can stick in the narrower parts of the cartridge and impede toner dispensing... I think that's what happened. The cartridge that has this sort of problem once, may have this problem again... but you know what to do now. (And the previous implies, if you are buying the cheaper kind of refill or 'compatible' toner cartridge, then another type of that sort, if not genuine Canon toner - if it is still available for this mdoel - would be advisable in order to prevent this problem in the future.)

Before you go, please rate my answer - a five-star rating best expresses appreciation of the work I have done. Thank you, ***** ***** a great day.

Russell H., Service Tech.
The toner is cannon brand compatible to this model.
Thanks again

OK, you're welcome! and thank you again, for the favorable rating.