Russell H., Service Tech.
Experience:  10 yrs fixing office equipment. Decades of typewriter fixes.
13568747

Can not receive faxes, officejet Pro 8600 Plus by HP, PC

Customer Question

can not receive faxes
JA: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?
Customer: officejet Pro 8600 Plus by HP
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC Windows 7
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Bad storm this past Sunday. AT&T representative here today which supplies land lines and wireless service.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Office Equipment
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

If the ATT rep was here, tell me whether your lines are now working, and whether you can send faxes outgoing, at least?

If you cannot send, as well as cannot receive, either the line is disconnected or you have no phone service on the line leading to the fax machine. Or perhaps, if the rep bumbled about a bit, the phone line may be plugged into the PHONE or P jack on the HP, rather than the LINE or L jack, where it should be (the PHONE jack is for extension phone handsets, answering machines, and so forth.)

If you can send, but cannot receive, faxes, then it's not your lines so much as something else, and you would be well advised to call the fax machine's number, e.g. with your cell phone, and listen as to how the phone # responds.

If the HP does not respond at all, but can send faxes outbound, you need to re-enable Auto-Answering on the HP - this is often as easy as pressing the Auto-Answer button once, on the HP, to turn On the Auto-Answer light.

If the above does not help with the problem, please reply telling me the circumstances and what you observe, or asking for other details of my advice, and I will help you further toward a solution to the problem.